my first diesel focus

Never having owned a diesel before I thought I would ask here which diesel focus I should go for and which to stay away from since I reckon at present fuel prices I would save about £4.5k over the life of the vehicle under my ownership. I want a nearly new one..04 at the oldest. I put in the details on Chrchill insurance website to see what effect various engine sizes would have and was astounded at the range of models...hence me wanting guidance here.

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

My 100HP unit focus goes like stink, good compromise between performance and economy.

Reply to
Chris Game

I bought a new Zetec TDCi 115 3 door (05 last of old model) in replacement for a 1.8 LX Petrol model.

It drives very effortlessly and returns 48 to 55 mpg.

The only draw back is in winter it takes about 8 miles to reach operating temperature, so on short journeys the heater is ineffective.

Hope this helps

Mike - UK

Reply to
Mike

All very useful...I was worried about sluggish performance but what Chris says puts that to bed...I live 7.5 miles away from work!..but I will have to freeze in winter...but I could do with more contributions please. Any model types to stay away from...or can you all only think of positives with diesels..other than engine temperature?

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

I've got an 05 1.8 TDCi LX. Had it about month.

I can vouch for what's been said here. Put your foot to the floor and it shifts. There's a sweet spot around 1500-1800 rpm in ANY gear where there is zero turbo lag - instant and quick acceleration around that engine speed. Makes overtaking and joining motorways a sinch and a lot less harrowing (having moved up from a 1.3 Escort. Heh). Driving around town it's quite economical as long as you don't keep flooring it everywhere. :)

I'd go for an LX if you can. Radio remote, AC and heated windscreen. No alloys - but much cheaper insurance.

paul.

Reply to
paul.groves

Wow and in relatively warm England. Imagine how diesels are in the colder parts of Canada, where starting a cold diesel can be a problem. Often they are left running. >:) My suggestion is getting an electric engine block heater, a very common item in Canada.

Reply to
Just Facts