My heater wont heat

For the last few weeks I've been noticing that no amount of time is enough for my car's heater to warm up the cabin. I'm not much of a gear head but I'm not afraid of tackling a DIY project if I have to.
Any suggestions on what I should look for to determine what is wrong with my AC/Heater unit and why it won't heat up my car?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No it wasn't. The reservoir was completely empty. Arrgghhhh!!! I did fill it up and the problem is gone. Now I have to find out how I lost all that coolant...
Will post as soon as I figure it out.
Thanks!!!

No it wasn't. The reservoir was completely empty. Arrgghhhh!!! I did fill it up and the problem is gone. Now I have to find out how I lost all that coolant...
Will post as soon as I figure it out.
Thanks!!!
what year is the focus?

My coolant got way below the min mark and the heater quit working, intermittent. Found out also I had a leak around my thermo housing. 2001 model. This was last year.
Things got from bad to worse. For the last few days I've been the proud owner of a huge coolant puddle under my parked car.
Every morning I refill the coolant reservoir to make sure I don't end up stranded in the highway. Yesterday I peaked under the car. No obvious source for the gushing leak. Will go to a friend's house to lift it on some towers and try to figure it out.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Will give an update once I have sorted it all out.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yep, look under the bonnet when the engine is hot and running. If it's losing that much the evidence will be there in the form of staining at the very least.
If you are still unable to spot it, get the system pressure tested at a garage. If you carry on with a leak that bad, it will end in pain...

Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Your thermostat housing is leaking. When you start the car, look under the car. It should be leaking if it is the housing. Once the car heats up the leak usually seals itself. If Ford does it, it costs about $200 for parts and labor. Just had it done last week. It is a common problem with the Focus.

Boy you guys are good! It WAS the thermostat housing. $200 later and I have no problems with my heater and no coolant leaks.
Thanks!