my new struts are rattling!

I just paid over $500 at Midas to have my 2000 ZX3 struts replaced at 65K miles. They do not rattle for the first 15 minutes of driving, but after the car is warmed up, my front end rattles over bumps and other
road irregularities. I can even feel it in the steering wheel. It gets worse the longer I drive. Anybody know what is up with that?

You don't say if there was a rattle before you took your car to Midas, but if there wasn't obviously you have to take it back to them. Shocks can sometimes be faulty.
Yes, no rattle before the replacement. I did the replacement because one of the springs broke, which caused creaks and clunks related to a single event and was quite obvious, so I figured it was time for the struts too. Thanks for the thought that the struts themselves might be faulty. I did do a search on this topic in this group, and saw that there were posts some years ago about front end rattles. The cause seems to be many and varied - defective struts not mentioned then, however.
(..and let me apologize ahead of time for using Google Groups without proper quoting because I can't access my Comcast newsgroup service with a proper newsreader from work...)
i think that there was extended coverage on the front coil springs, something like 10 years... if it broke, it should have been warranty, check with your dealer

Dave Gower wrote:

I think I'd be more worried about what might have been left untightened...
Get it checked ASAP!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:19:21 GMT, Chris Whelan

Yes, this would be my concern. I'm thinking something didn't get tightened. (I once replaced some shocks on my van and had a terrible rattle right after. Turned out my tightened bolts were tight enough!)
Matt 00 Focus Wagon 96 GMC Safari AWD (loose shocks were on this one.....) 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Got it looked at today. It was a broken swaybar that was just banging against other stuff! That explains why it didn't rattle when i first started driving around - sometimes it would bang on stuff and sometimes it just hung.
The swaybar attaches high on the strut with one "bolt", but it is integral to the swaybar itself, so you have to replace the whole mechanism. The bolt was sheared. I suspect the mechanic had over-torqued it when he replaced the strut. They replaced the swaybar no charge.