:-( nasty noise

Hi guys and gals,
I've got a 1998 focus. 1.8 zetec (UK). Jumping in it tonight and driving home i noticed as soon as it hits 3800rpm it generates a very loud rattle
from somewhere within the engine bay. I know thats very large area but its very difficult to pin down exact spot. Upto 3800 everything sounds fine, its running fine (apart from the noise), its only just been MOT'd and serviced!
Its kinda of like a rattle come grating noise. It the grating bit that i dont like.
Anyway i'm hoping someone here may have some suggestions before i hopefully get it booked in to the garage.
Thanks guys

Check your belts.