Need Computerized key for Focus

Ford dealer wants about one hundred dollars for a computerized key for my Focus 2000, zx3.
Can you recommend any company that can make me a key for less in Los Angeles
or mailorder?
Can I start my car without a computerized key?
Walt

If they are like the European Focus then the answer is no.
The car will have an anti-theft immobiliser which interrogates a transponder inside the key. The replacement key must have such a transponder and it must be programmed to match your car.
If you have two keys then you can use these to program further keys but usually people wait until they are down to one key before seeking a replacement. Only a Ford dealer can supply and program a replacement key if you only have one key.
Like I said, this is how it works in Europe. It may be different in the US but from what you say, it doesn't sound like it.
--
Paul Giverin

There are many aftermarket keys available on e-bay, etc. doesn't have to be a Ford brand. A local locksmith may be able to get one also.
writes

henry wrote:

My Ford dealer used an after market key but you will still have to get it programed at a Ford dealer.

Works the same here in North America.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

Correct, assuming the original poster has only one key (and given the $100 fee Ford's quoting, this is probably the case). But if the buyer is just looking to add another key to his existing two keys, then he can program it himself following the instructions in the owner's manual. I found a spare key blank on eBay, had them cut (a bit more difficult than for ordinary keys as many places that cut keys have a policy of not cutting transponder keys), then programmed it myself.
PS--eBay's also a good source for remote door/trunk lock/unlock devices and they, too, can be programmed at home.
Craig