Need diagnostic assitance

I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine light was on. They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow to the EGR valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark plugs, fuel
filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient flow so by looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR solenoid, the EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen sensor. Oh and the vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which of these last parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks.
Joe
wrote

What was the code?
<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php
<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
--
Alan
Uhh, I didn't get the code number. The Autozone employee showed me the handheld and it said something to the effect of insufficient flow to the EGR valve. I don't know how specific those hand held diaganostics are, but I can have them reread it if that will clarify the problem? Thanks.

My 2001 ZTS had the same problem, Does your car feel like it is lurching/surging while driving? Tires Plus wanted $850 to repair, did some research on the various focus forums and found it to be the DPFE sensor..$30 from ford and 10 minutes of my time. Problem solved, I had the same message as you but I can't remember the code number. Tom

I went back to Autozone this morning and found that the code was P0401 which is insufficient EGR flow. I have already replaced the EGR valve so I am going to replace the differential pressure sensor to see if that will do it. It sounds like I'm having the same problem that you were since the check engine light is on and it also surges while driving. Hopefully that'll take care of it. Thanks.
Joe

Could this be the DPFE that fails so often on the Foci,? (At least the North American ones)
Apparently so, the dude at the Ford parts counter handed over my new sensor and said that it may look a little different because they have tried to change it in order to fix the problem. Anyway, I installed it and it seemed to do the trick. I just need to put a few miles on the car to see if the light also goes off too.
Joe

You may have to take it to AutoZone and have them reset the light with their code reader. I don't think the light will reset on its own. Tom

Ok thanks. I know if you disconnect both of the battery terminal that it will turn the light off, but in the past it has come back on automatically after driving 60-70 miles. I assumed that this is because the problem was not fixed. Is disconnecting the battery the same as resetting it?
Joe

Joe B. wrote:

Let me know how it goes. I also have the engine light on now.
I disconnected the battery a few weekends back to clean the terminals. The light went off and stayed off for a while. A day or two later, it came back on. How much was the DPFE?
It was $40 from the Ford dealership. It was a 5 minute job to install, but I haven't driven enough miles to determine if it has worked yet. My understanding is that it takes 60-70 miles for the check engine function to pick up the new reading. Good luck.
Joe

The DFPE sensor change fixed the problem.
Joe

"Joe B." wrote: > The DFPE sensor change fixed the problem. > > Joe > > >
> > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> Joe B. wrote: > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> Ok thanks. I know if you disconnect both of > the battery terminal > &nbsp;>> that it > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> will turn the light off, but in the past it > has come back on > &nbsp;>> automatically > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> after driving 60-70 miles. I assumed that > this is because the > &nbsp;>> problem was > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> not fixed. Is disconnecting the battery the > same as resetting it? > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> Let me know how it goes. I also have the engine > light on now. > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> I disconnected the battery a few weekends back to > clean the terminals. > &nbsp;>> The light went off and stayed off for a while. A day > or two later, it > &nbsp;>> came back on. > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> How much was the DPFE? > &nbsp;>> > > > >
I am having the same problems. 2001 Focus SE Zetec and automatic trans, only 24000 miles. The check engine light came on for the first time ever :x right after I bought gas on an unseasonably warm day (maybe extra vapors in the gas tank or something) from a station I never went to before. I read the manual it said could be bad gas so I waited a few days like it said before doing anything. It was pinging a little around 20mph, wouldnt accelerate unless I floored it, and after 3 days it didnt go off. I went to Autozone and got codes 401 and 402, which mean insufficient and too much flow in the EGR valve, (simultaneously!!! isnt that a paradox...) I went to a Ford dealer the next morning (a Saturday) and went to see if they would fix it. I told them I had a 400 mile round trip I needed to take this weekend, and I wouldve left Friday night if not for the car trouble. He said it could be DPFE which would be replaced under a Ford extended warranty for this part (my regular warranty is long expired). He said no problem to take the trip and come in next week. After going there and most of the way back the light went off on its own! It was drviing noticeably better after such a long drive. Remember my car averages only 6000 miles a year (needs to be driven more I know). I canceled the appointment thinking I was in the clear. Last weekend it was stuttering a little on the highway (always when passing through about 45mph) and the light came back on again. By now, 10 days and 250 miles later the light is still on but the car is running better again on its own and maybe the light will turn off by itself again soon. I dont want to go to the dealer and have them say well we repaced the DPFE for free but you needed a new Johnson rod (thats from Seinfeld) that was 200 plus labor.... What should I do, just disconnect the battery and hope it drives ok for a while or go back to Ford right away?
"" wrote: > I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine > light was on. > They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow > to the EGR > valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark > plugs, fuel > filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector > cleaner through > the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient > flow so by > looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR > solenoid, the > EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen > sensor. Oh and the > vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which > of these last > parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks. > > Joe
I took my 2000 Ford Focus SE to AutoZone but they were unable to find the place to plug in the scanner to pull the service engine code. Ive looked everywhere and I cant find it. Can someone tell me were the scanner plug in is located.....many thanks
"" wrote: > I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine > light was on. > They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow > to the EGR > valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark > plugs, fuel > filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector > cleaner through > the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient > flow so by > looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR > solenoid, the > EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen > sensor. Oh and the > vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which > of these last > parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks. > > Joe
Where exactly is the plug or connection for the engine code scanner. The guy from AutoZone that tried to run the scanner was unable to find it and Ive looked everywhere for it with no luck....Please help
"indiglo28" wrote: > Where exactly is the plug or connection for the engine code > scanner. The guy from AutoZone that tried to run the scanner > was unable to find it and I've looked everywhere for it with > no luck....Please help
its near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings open vertically.
"gillmj24" wrote: > it's near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the > headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings > open vertically.
Are you talking about the fuse panel opening? When I look in that opening, what does the plug look like?
"gillmj24" wrote: > it's near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the > headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings > open vertically.
Never mind.....I found it!!! :D I never noticed that there was a an area in that panel that fliped down...duh! Many, many thanks for ur help.

Once you have the code see if it is listed at