Need diagnostic assitance

I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine light was on. They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow to the EGR valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient flow so by looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR solenoid, the EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen sensor. Oh and the vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which of these last parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

In message , Joe B. wrote

What was the code?

Reply to
Alan

Uhh, I didn't get the code number. The Autozone employee showed me the handheld and it said something to the effect of insufficient flow to the EGR valve. I don't know how specific those hand held diaganostics are, but I can have them reread it if that will clarify the problem? Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

Reply to
Tom

I went back to Autozone this morning and found that the code was P0401 which is insufficient EGR flow. I have already replaced the EGR valve so I am going to replace the differential pressure sensor to see if that will do it. It sounds like I'm having the same problem that you were since the check engine light is on and it also surges while driving. Hopefully that'll take care of it. Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

Could this be the DPFE that fails so often on the Foci,? (At least the North American ones)

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Apparently so, the dude at the Ford parts counter handed over my new sensor and said that it may look a little different because they have tried to change it in order to fix the problem. Anyway, I installed it and it seemed to do the trick. I just need to put a few miles on the car to see if the light also goes off too.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

Ok thanks. I know if you disconnect both of the battery terminal that it will turn the light off, but in the past it has come back on automatically after driving 60-70 miles. I assumed that this is because the problem was not fixed. Is disconnecting the battery the same as resetting it?

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

automatically

problem was

Let me know how it goes. I also have the engine light on now.

I disconnected the battery a few weekends back to clean the terminals. The light went off and stayed off for a while. A day or two later, it came back on. How much was the DPFE?

Reply to
Tony Wesley

It was $40 from the Ford dealership. It was a 5 minute job to install, but I haven't driven enough miles to determine if it has worked yet. My understanding is that it takes 60-70 miles for the check engine function to pick up the new reading. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

The DFPE sensor change fixed the problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

I am having the same problems. 2001 Focus SE Zetec and automatic trans, only 24000 miles. The check engine light came on for the first time ever :x right after I bought gas on an unseasonably warm day (maybe extra vapors in the gas tank or something) from a station I never went to before. I read the manual it said could be bad gas so I waited a few days like it said before doing anything. It was pinging a little around 20mph, wouldnt accelerate unless I floored it, and after

3 days it didnt go off. I went to Autozone and got codes 401 and 402, which mean insufficient and too much flow in the EGR valve, (simultaneously!!! isnt that a paradox...) I went to a Ford dealer the next morning (a Saturday) and went to see if they would fix it. I told them I had a 400 mile round trip I needed to take this weekend, and I wouldve left Friday night if not for the car trouble. He said it could be DPFE which would be replaced under a Ford extended warranty for this part (my regular warranty is long expired). He said no problem to take the trip and come in next week. After going there and most of the way back the light went off on its own! It was drviing noticeably better after such a long drive. Remember my car averages only 6000 miles a year (needs to be driven more I know). I canceled the appointment thinking I was in the clear. Last weekend it was stuttering a little on the highway (always when passing through about 45mph) and the light came back on again. By now, 10 days and 250 miles later the light is still on but the car is running better again on its own and maybe the light will turn off by itself again soon. I don?t want to go to the dealer and have them say well we repaced the DPFE for free but you needed a new Johnson rod (that?s from Seinfeld) that was 200 plus labor.... What should I do, just disconnect the battery and hope it drives ok for a while or go back to Ford right away?
Reply to
gillmj24

"" wrote: > I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine > light was on. > They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow > to the EGR > valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark > plugs, fuel > filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector > cleaner through > the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient > flow so by > looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR > solenoid, the > EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen > sensor. Oh and the > vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which > of these last > parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks. > > Joe

I took my 2000 Ford Focus SE to AutoZone but they were unable to find the place to plug in the scanner to pull the service engine code. I??ve looked everywhere and I can?t find it. Can someone tell me were the scanner plug in is located.....many thanks

Reply to
indiglo28

"" wrote: > I took my 2001 Focus to Auto Zone because my check engine > light was on. > They checked it and it showed that there was insufficient flow > to the EGR > valve. I have since replaced the EGR valve, PCV valve, spark > plugs, fuel > filter, air filter and have ran 2 bottles of fuel injector > cleaner through > the fuel tank. At this point I am still getting insufficient > flow so by > looking at the Haynes manual I asume that is could be the EGR > solenoid, the > EGR differential pressure sensor or possible the Oxygen > sensor. Oh and the > vaccum hoses are connected properly. Any suggestions on which > of these last > parts mentioned is likely causing my trouble? Thanks. > > Joe

Where exactly is the plug or connection for the engine code scanner. The guy from AutoZone that tried to run the scanner was unable to find it and I?ve looked everywhere for it with no luck....Please help

Reply to
indiglo28

"indiglo28" wrote: > Where exactly is the plug or connection for the engine code > scanner. The guy from AutoZone that tried to run the scanner > was unable to find it and I've looked everywhere for it with > no luck....Please help

it?s near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings open vertically.

Reply to
gillmj24

"gillmj24" wrote: > it's near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the > headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings > open vertically.

Are you talking about the fuse panel opening? When I look in that opening, what does the plug look like?

Reply to
indiglo28

"gillmj24" wrote: > it's near your left knee when in the driver seat, under the > headlight control there is a little hinged door that swings > open vertically.

Never mind.....I found it!!! :D I never noticed that there was a an area in that panel that fliped down...duh! Many, many thanks for ur help.

Reply to
indiglo28

Once you have the code see if it is listed at

Reply to
Alan