Need to get UK remote fob, but only 1 key. how?

When I bought my car (second hand), I was only given 1 blue key, I did ask about a remote but they said it didn't have one. I was then told by a friend that I could get a remote from either an alarm place or from
ford. Spoke to ford, and they said since I had only one blue key, they would have to take the car into garage and total cost would be 172 for a programmed remote keyfob - whereas the fob is only around 50.
Is there cheaper way of doing this? I know I need 2 keys, but how do I go about getting the 2nd key cheap?
Cheers!!
Gary
buy a blank from eBay
When I bought my car (second hand), I was only given 1 blue key, I did ask about a remote but they said it didn't have one. I was then told by a friend that I could get a remote from either an alarm place or from ford. Spoke to ford, and they said since I had only one blue key, they would have to take the car into garage and total cost would be 172 for a programmed remote keyfob - whereas the fob is only around 50.
Is there cheaper way of doing this? I know I need 2 keys, but how do I go about getting the 2nd key cheap?
Cheers!!
Gary

Yebbut you need two keys present in order to programme a 3rd.
The OP will still need to visit a dealer to have the car accept the new keys.
Tim.
Pretty much thought I had to visit a dealer, but some companies must offer this service. Live in North London. Any ideas?
Tim.. wrote:

Whereabouts are you G
When I bought my car (second hand), I was only given 1 blue key, I did ask about a remote but they said it didn't have one. I was then told by a friend that I could get a remote from either an alarm place or from ford. Spoke to ford, and they said since I had only one blue key, they would have to take the car into garage and total cost would be 172 for a programmed remote keyfob - whereas the fob is only around 50.
Is there cheaper way of doing this? I know I need 2 keys, but how do I go about getting the 2nd key cheap?
Cheers!!
Gary
Whereabouts are you Gary??