New car slower than old one

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my 2004 2.0 Ghia is slower than the 1999 2.0 Ghia I traded in - (UK Car)
The new one does have the climate control, which I have switched off just in
case. But apart from a few side mouldings it is the same body, and from the paper work it should have about 5 more BHP.
The new one is slower by about 10 MPH over 300/400 yard run from a standing start (from a junction I use everyday to work which me and my colleagues use as a comparison).
In all aspects of power it seems sluggish compared to the old car - Any thoughts would be welcome.
Cheers

in
the
standing
use
Assuming that there are no actual faults affecting performance, the two things that initially spring to mind are either a relatively tight, low-mileage engine (if applicable?) or a more accurate speedo - or maybe a combination of the two??
Alternatively, maybe slightly different gearing??
On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:08:00 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Allen"

[]
[] Or a less accurate speedo - I just got a GPS system - I used it in a Merc and checked the speedo on the motorway - It compared spot on with the Merc.
In my 2 year Focus 2L Ghia, the speedo reads 34 when the gps tells me that I am doing 30. The speedo consistently is 'fast' compared with the GPS.
I tend to believe in the cesium clocks on the GPS than the speedo on the car. HOWEVER, I use the car speedo if a police car tailing me!!!
--
Donald Gray

Exactly, GPS should be correct concerning speed withing +/- 0.1 km/h. The speedo on my Focus shows about +5% more then GPS, a pretty good value for some Ford speedometer. In addition it has the annoying feature that it stops shortly before 220 km/h, while revs are still going up.
| perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'

GPS vs. speedo comparison is similar in my experience too - speedo reads 4mph fast at all legal speeds compared to GPS, indicating it is actually a pretty accurate unit with an in-built over-read that remains consistent. As an aside, my GPS reads identically to these flashing roadside speed signs that seem to be proliferating in this neck of the woods.
Just to clarify my earlier comments with regard to the OP, the more accurate speedo reasoning relates to the newer car - if the one in the old car over-read a lot and the one in the new car over-reads less, then this could give the OP the impression that the new car is slower over his chosen performance test (especially if the new car is also a bit quieter and smoother to drive than the old one too)
Mark Allen schrieb:

Hi I dont know about the law in the USA, but here in Germany a speedo is only allowed to over-read the real speed by about 10% of the max. speed indicatable, but not a bit slower then the right speed. This leads to speedos with a over-read of about 2-10 km/h, bad ones until 15-20 km/h. About 5 is normaly. bye Jupp
While travelling on a straight road and at constant speed the GPS always reports a road speed that is 10 percent below that reported by my 2001 UK (Geman) Focus speedometer (over the range 30 to 80 miles per hour)
--
Alan

A bit much, perhaps you have mounted another wheel/tire combination then your Focus is programmed? Can be adjusted from your Ford dealer.

Standard Ford wheels and recommended size of tyres (same brand/model of tyre as originally fitted to car)
--
Alan

I think it's ok, my german Focus' speedometer shows more km/h than i'm really driving. I measured it and the speedometer shows ca. 7 km/h more than I'm actually driving.

Depends, at least with my Focus on the speed: speedometer 100 km/h - GPS 95 km/h speedometer 200 km/h - GPS 190 km/h
(Sadly speedometer simply stops short before 220 km/h)
Anyway looks like +5%, wouldn't really care about the 10%, but his dealer should be able to check if the tire dimension mounted is programmed correctly, if he's curious.
David D wrote:

I belive that the new one is 150lbs heavier. More sound deadening, thicker safety glass, bigger dimensionally. More mass=less speed!
Ron
Ron

The 2005 is bigger, not the 2004. /per