Newbie Ford Focus Question

Hi,
My Ford Escort just blew a head gasket and has lots of other problems so it's going to get sold.
I am thinking about the Ford Focus.
I have just one question for now: My escort (i'm in the USA) was
apparently really a Mazda underneath the Ford bodywork, it this also true for the Focus? Are they made overseas? or does a foreign manufacturer have a plant here where they assemble them? what is really under there?
thanks much for any helpful replies.
NNJ

The Focus is definitely not a Mazda, although the two companies do share some technology. It was designed by Ford of Europe, and ones sold in the U.S. are made either in the U.S. or Mexico. They are a Ford product through and through.
Ford is not really a "domestic" company. Like GM, it is a worldwide corporation, with affiliates in many countries. In fact, when you really get down to it, the world auto industry is so integrated that it is really meaningless to talk about "domestic" and "foreign" any more.
There are many common parts shared by the North American and European-built Focuses, but many differences too, mainly in the types of engines offered.
I understand that the new Focus being introduced in Europe shares a lot of design with the new Mazda3, but the one sold here is being continued with few changes.

Even me could not explain it better .........:-)

Thank you.

My Focus was assembled in Mexico, but everything works fine.