No instrument panel

Got in the car this morning and started up. No fuel gauge, speedometer, rev counter or temperature gauge. Fuse (61) is ok - swapped it with fuse 62 and the number plate light still works.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol 5 door manual 2002 35000 miles.

Is this a common fault? Anyone any clues what to check next before I take it to the garage where no doubt they will want to replace the whole assembly?

Many thanks

me

Reply to
intothebin

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Fuse 61 on my UK Focus (2001) is for lights

On my UK Focus the instrument cluster is protected by F50, F59 and perhaps F8 and F20

F50 Brown - 7.5A - Radio/Instrument Cluster/Central timing F59 Brown - 7.5A - Electronic modules/Instrument Panel

F50 and F59 on a UK Focus can be found behind the passenger side glove box - flex the plastic sides of the glove-box inwards and pull with a tiny bit of force - it will swing down out of the way to reveal the fuse panel.

I believe on US models the fuse panel is somewhere in the drivers footwell (behind a panel)

F8 Green - 30A - Ignition F20 Red - 10A - Engine Management. These two fuses are in the engine bay fuse box but probably not the problem if you can start the car.

See also

The instrument cluster check detailed on the above web page also works on a UK Focus.

Reply to
Alan

Quite different then, though the imprint on the back of the glove box compartment differs from the actual fuse box as far as I can tell.

Anyhow after checking the obvious I got the AA man to have a look but he couldn't find anything either. Seems like a new Instrument cluster unit ~ I've been given an estimate of =A3400 - yipes.

Reply to
intothebin

Use google for what it was intended to do, search the archives of this group:

Put alt.autos.ford.focus in the "Group" box and search for "speed sensor instrument". AFAIK it is a very common Focus problem and a fraction to replace, YMMV. Personally saw this twice in five years while driving and all instrument came back as usual immediately, so I didn't thought about replacing. Hopefully ABS/ASR and associated systems are running more stable...;-)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

I'm interested to know how you think a faulty VSS will cause the rev counter, fuel gauge and temperature gauge to malfunction...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As pointed out, I simply saw them falling during driving twice in five years. In combination with all the contributions about the problem it seems somehow related?

If not, at least he got an idea of using the search, if he hasn't already? ;-)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Well thank you for taking the time to respond Michael. I am quite aware of how to use google searches. As Chris pointed out why on earth would I conclude that I should search for anything to do with "speed sensor" when it seemed logical to search for "instrument cluster" or "instrument panel" as per subject line? Anyhow I do not have an intermittent fault. The panel is dead - the car is otherwise fine and going into a Ford Dealer today - just hope that if it is something simple they will be honest enough to tell me.

me

Reply to
intothebin

Perhaps you would be good enough to post back the results?

Good luck!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In alt.autos.ford.focus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Dunno why you would or should conclude, it was just a hint what might be related, nothing more.

Possibly they are trying to rip you off? Just post the outcome, would be interesting.

Good luck

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Your hint started with

"Use google for what it was intended to do, search the archives of this group: "

I read that as being quite condescending.

If you had said "there was some recent stuff on speed sensors that may be relevant" I would have taken a different slant on it.

I guess usenet can be a bit blunt at times so I assume no offence was meant.

me

Reply to
intothebin

New panel. At least it ties in with what the AA patrolman concluded (ie not fuses, relays or connection to the panel).

Sandicliffe Ford ~ =A3298 and (wait for it) .04p all up. The estimate I had at ~=A3400 was from a reputable car electrics outfit so I don't feel quite as bad. Sandicliffe tried to sell me =A326 worth of windscreen wipers but I'll fix that myself.

A bit surprising is that they can't set the mileometer so that goes back to zero. =20

me

Reply to
intothebin

Not too bad then. I've not heard of this happening in this NG, so perhaps just bad luck.

WRT the wipers, I get mine here:

Some would say that's a good thing...

Thanks for the update.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In alt.autos.ford.focus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

No pun intended, sorry if you got this wrong! ;-)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Any particular brand recommended? I've read varying opinions on the Bosch - eg too stiff.

me

Reply to
intothebin

Not really. I just went for the cheapo Champions last time; they seem OK so far.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My panel on my 2001 2.0 has failed twice in the last month for NO reason at all. Driving along and the TC light came on then everything dropped to zero, a few mins later it all came back!

Scary!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.