Non-Collapsable Side Mirrors

I have had to replace both side mirrors several times. It's gotten so that when I replace one, i immediately go to ebay and buy another, knowing it will soon be needed. Ford really screwed the pooch making the side mirrors non-collapsable. Anyone know if after-market, collapsable side mirrors are available? I haven't seen them.

Reply to
LMO

...or maybe selling to someone with your driving skills. Sorry, I just had to think this after reading your message. Just how are you losing these mirrors?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Have to park in the street (live in Germany...very narrow lanes). Came out yesterday morning and the driver side mirror had been knocked off,no doubt by a driver in the night. That's pretty typical. Of course, being good, law abiding Germans, no note was left...

Reply to
LMO

Sorry to hear that. It seems that your current technique of keeping spares--or maybe getting a different car or a different parking place--is the only solution.

I will confess to a problem I had with my Focus shortly after buying it. I was filling up with gas and as I walked alongside the car with it's fuel filler door open, I brushed up against it in a way that made it want to try to open even more than in the full open position. Well, the filler door is all plastic so I snapped it off--the whole door! Boy, was I angry. Amazingly, with a brass strap that I bought at a hardware store, a lot of epoxy glue, and some tape to hold things in place as the glue dried, the repaired door continues to hold now about four years later. Quite amazing as the break required a sort of butt joint reattachment, not the easiest thing to put back together for strength. I wouldn't be surprised if my repair has given me a stronger filler door than when it was new.

Anyone else snap off a gas filler door?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

"Craig" wrote in news:dmqdf.48228$qk4.46551 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

It's a common Focus problem. A metal replacement is available. check out:

Frog Legs

In alt.autos.ford.focus LMO :

Strange, side mirrors on my Focus (1999) are easily collapsible per default.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

LMAO! Are you the same bozo that bitched how badly designed the Focus is when he mashed his mirror into his carport a couple years back? Heh, heh

-- if you are then forget the purchase of "EXTRA" mirrors, buy some driving lessons, pooch!

30+ years driving and have yet to come close to breaking a mirror! (although I did have some 18 yr old in an SUV total my '03 Focus when he ran a stop sign)
Reply to
Roarmeister

Opps, sorry - I had you mistaken for someone else (an American BTW). Ignore my previous post.

Reply to
Roarmeister

Opps, sorry - I had you mistaken for someone else (an American BTW). Ignore my previous post.

This guy (I'm assuming, it was) started posting a couple years ago on every Focus newsgroup and BB around complaining about his broken and limp side mirror when he should have taken note with his bad driving skills.

Reply to
Roarmeister

To original poster, you can get some focus power collapsable mirrors from these guys in the UK

grebz

The originals are collapsable by hand they just need a good shove always fold mine in if it's parked on the street. are the American ones different then

Reply to
Andy Lee

In alt.autos.ford.focus Andy Lee :

Hi Andy!

Thx for acknowledging. Mine are although collapsible per default, which made me curious about the thread. The above URL "fordpartsuk" suggests at least that it's European.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

:>In alt.autos.ford.focus Andy Lee : :>> On 15 Nov 2005 01:51:28 -0800, "grebz" :>> wrote: :>

:>>>To original poster, you can get some focus power collapsable mirrors :>>>from these guys in the UK :>>>

:>>>

:>

:>> The originals are collapsable by hand they just need a good shove :>> always fold mine in if it's parked on the street. are the American :>> ones different then :>

:>Hi Andy! :>

:>Thx for acknowledging. Mine are although collapsible per default, :>which made me curious about the thread. The above URL :>"fordpartsuk" suggests at least that it's European.

The only American Focus I've aware of with the collapsibe mirrors is the SVT Focus. This is through the '04 model year. I don't know if any of the American '05/'06 models have them or not.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

In alt.autos.ford.focus me/2 :

:>>>

:>

Seems you can be glad if you get a driver seat in an US model per default? ;-)

Anyway, looks like the OP is from Europe? Perhaps this depends on the model?

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Now I'm really curious - do the European mirrors have the heater function? or is this a North American and specifically a Canadian design option?

I have heated seats (standard in my ZX5 and higher level packages) - the switch is also connected to the heaters in the mirrors. I suppose they could have designed them with both functions but the Ford bean counters may have said they didn't want to spend the extra pennies.

Reply to
Roarmeister

:>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:24:37 +0100, Michael Heiming :> wrote: :>

:>>In alt.autos.ford.focus Andy Lee : :>>> On 15 Nov 2005 01:51:28 -0800, "grebz" :>>> wrote: :>>

:>>>>To original poster, you can get some focus power collapsable mirrors :>>>>from these guys in the UK :>>>>

:>>>>

:>>

:>>> The originals are collapsable by hand they just need a good shove :>>> always fold mine in if it's parked on the street. are the American :>>> ones different then :>>

:>>Hi Andy! :>>

:>>Thx for acknowledging. Mine are although collapsible per default, :>>which made me curious about the thread. The above URL :>>"fordpartsuk" suggests at least that it's European. :>

:>Now I'm really curious - do the European mirrors have the heater function? :>or is this a North American and specifically a Canadian design option? :>

:>I have heated seats (standard in my ZX5 and higher level packages) - the :>switch is also connected to the heaters in the mirrors. I suppose they

That's interesting. On my '04 SVT Focus with the heated mirrors and the heated leather Recaro seats (courtesy of the Euro package) it states in the owner's manual that the heated mirrors are turned on when you turn on the rear window defogger. I have verified on mine that the seat heaters have nothing to do with the mirror heaters.

:>could have designed them with both functions but the Ford bean counters may :>have said they didn't want to spend the extra pennies.

Yeah, they're not very consistent either. :-)

me/2

Reply to
me/2

I've always wondered if that was a misprint or not. It makes sense to link it with the defrost instead of the seat heaters - may it was a misprint in '03? In any case, the heated mirrors and collapsible mirrors may have been mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Roarmeister

In alt.autos.ford.focus Roarmeister :

May be model specific, mine has them probably per default, it's switched on together with the heating of the rear window. You can move the mirrors electrical in addition.

Unlike the heated windscreen washer system, which is iirc turned on automatically after outside temperature drops below 4C.

Don't have heated seats, but a heated windscreen in addition, there's no model called ZX5 over here, mine is a Ghia.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

:>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:57:40 -0700, me/2 wrote: :>

:>>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:34:15 -0600, Roarmeister :>> wrote: :>>

:>>:>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:24:37 +0100, Michael Heiming :>>:> wrote: :>>:>

:>>:>>In alt.autos.ford.focus Andy Lee : :>>:>>> On 15 Nov 2005 01:51:28 -0800, "grebz" :>>:>>> wrote: :>>:>>

:>>:>>>>To original poster, you can get some focus power collapsable mirrors :>>:>>>>from these guys in the UK :>>:>>>>

:>>:>>>>

>:>>

:>>:>>

[...]

Just for the record, on the SVT Focus the mirrors are heated, electrically adjustable and collapsible. Oh yeah, and they have body colored covers unlike the black covers on the other Focus models. I guess we got more than just a SVT badge for the extra bucks. :-)

me/2

Reply to
me/2

Thank you! That was what I have been looking for. But at 199 pounds, I could buy a whole bunch of non collapsing ones...matter of fact, I already have!

LMO