Oil change interval

Page 1 of 4
I live in the states and been told that the oil change interval for European Foci is longer than in the states. In the states its 5000 miles. What is
the recommended change interval in Europe.
Thanks

Thanks
Don't know about europe, but in the States we've been getting screwd into too frquent oil changes for a long time now. Cnanging oil and filter or having it done used to be an event. Now the bastards would have you in there twice before breakfast if they could think of a line of BS that people would buy. There used to be a 10,000 mile interval, then it went to 7500 a lot of years ago. At that time Penzoil came out with an additive called ,"PZL" that raised the price of oil 10 cents a quart. There claim was that it doubled the time/miles between oil changes. So for a lot of years I changed oil in my 1960 Ford Falcon every 15,000 miles.
Suddenly the oil with the , "PZL" additive was removed from the stores. I had to make a command decision and asked myself, "What the hell could they be adding to this oil that would double the miles between oil changes". The answer, of course was nothing. So I kept right on with my oil changes at every 15,000 miles.
I traded the old Falcon in at well over 100,000 miles as I have every other car I've owned and changed oil lin religiously every 15,000 miles. When I take my 2001 Focus for an oil and filter change which is recommended every 5,000 miles, they put a big sticker on the windshield that says I need to come back in 3,000 miles. There would be no end to it if the little bastards could have their way.
Remember when it was recommended that the filter be changed every other oil change? Not any more. All the "experts will now chime in about hotter running engines and higer revs, etc. Wouldn't one be correct to expect that lubricants have improved over the years as well?
Freddie
meddelandet wrote:

European
is
Read your bible lately? See: http://www.motor-oil-bible.com/index-test9-new.html /per

European
10,000 to 12,500 miles depending on the model year.
G.

Uh are you sure you don't mean Kilometres? I've never heard of a recommendation of 12,500 miles (20,000 kilometres)
I read last Fall that GM had published a report saying that most North American cars are wasting a lot of oil by being changed far too soon, that oil is good for at least 6K miles (10K kilometres) even if it starts to look a little dirty. Unless the car is mostly driven in stop-and-go traffic and short trips.
Since most of my driving is highway I have decided to go with 10K.

Yep, 20000 km (12500 miles) is the recommendation of Ford, at least for the petrol engines, diesel are usually shorter but I don't know exactly the number.

Yep, some oil that doesn't get dirty isn't worth anything, the changed color shows that the oil is able to absorb the dirt.
--
Michael Heiming

Diesel 10,000 miles.
For both models there is a caveat in the owners manual saying that the oil and filter should be changed (independently of a 'normal' service) at an undefined shorter period if the car is used for:
Short trips of less than 10 miles, particularly in winter when the outside temperature is low.
Mostly in start/stop urban traffic or with excessive idling.
In the UK handbook(s) the recommended oil is SAE 5W-30 - although 5W-40 or 10W-40 can be used depending on the ambient temperature and with possible reduced engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels

--
Alan
I was told by a ford dealership here in canada, that unless I use 5W-20, my warrenty will be void. I was also told by ford that my oil must be changed every 5000km. I have actually let that slip and gone around 10 000km without an oilchange and I felt pretty guilty about doing so. But After reading this thread, I dont feel so bad anymore =) Also, there are local places such as "lube-x" that are saying that people should change their oil every 3000km-4000km. So it looks like this is turning into quite the money grab ...Just my two cents

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:13:36 +0000, Alan

My dealer has just told me that the recommended interval for the TDCi is 12500 same as the petrol I'll take their word for it. The Americans here seem to be getting screwed with this 5000 mile rubbish or do they use massively different engines that really "do" need more frequent changes. Mind you a lot of Americans seen fascinated with this tyre rotation thing as well. Seems like a waste of time and money to me what possible benefit can changing wheels from front to back have just leave em on till they are worn out then replace them.
Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

or do they

Actually it's worse - 3000 miles (5000 kilometers in Canada) and no the engines aren't all that different except that they are only 2 litre (well 2.3 has been added this year).

Ford dropped that recommendation recently. My dealer says put the best ones on the back.
wrote

Tire rotation makes a difference when you have AWD. Example Subarus; tire rotation is critical.
I change oil every 5000 Klms. Call it peace of mind and cheap maintenance.
Ron
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:18:17 GMT, "Rockin Ronnie"

Why? I don't get this. If the tyre is worn out replace it. What possible difference can it make putting a part worn tyre from the back of the car on the front? I'm no expert but I would guess having the best possible tyres on the wheels that steer the car would be the best bet.

Whats cheap about replacing the oil more frequently than the Car manufacturers intervals. Do you think that this will stop the engine wearing out more often?

The best tires should be mounted on the rear of your car.

If you are not driving very low distance (<3 km), where the engine doesn't get warm, better use a bicycle then, there's nothing wrong with the manufacture intervals. Once a year or every 20.000 km for the petrol Focus engines. Everything else is just a waste of money.
--
Michael Heiming

Surely not on a front wheel drive car? The fact that the front tyres wear faster than the rear suggests that the best tyres should be fitted to the front.
--
Alan

Ever heard of hydroplaning/aquaplaning? If the front wheels get out of control, not a big problem, but if the rear ones do, well you'll be skidding and be hardly able to get it back safely.
It doesn't matter what kind of car, the best tires belong to the rear, unless you live in a desert. You can try that with some small toy car and some tape on the front/rear to simulate no contact.
--
Michael Heiming

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:27:14 GMT, Andy Lee

Don't weep for us, you poor chaps must get pretty raw yourselves with the inflated fossil fuel costs over there.
Freddie
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:50:37 GMT, saynothankyou toSPAM@ ourhouse.com (Freddie The Crook Finder) wrote:

Please, pleasem don't remind me! It would be cheaper to run the car on Beer if possible.

Andy Lee wrote

But some of the "designer" mineral waters on the supermarket shelves is even more expensive than their petrol :-)
--
MCC
19-Jan-04 10:14:01 GMT