Oil suck-out/change via dipstick -Focus C-Max

My son just baught a 2nd hand 54 plate C- max in the UK I think he said it is a 1.8 Dura Tec engine ? Can anyone tell me if it is possible to suck out the oil without un-shrouding the engine bay floor? I have a Peugeot and
can suck out all the oil from on top through the dip-stick hole. Is something similar possible with this C-Max? Thanks anyone who can help... Charlie+
Charlie+ wrote:

What's wrong with undoing the sump plug and draining out the oil there? It can't be good sucking oil out of the dipstick tube as any swarf and/or gunk will accumulate over time as it will remain in the sump and will only lead to problems later on.
Tom
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:47:38 +0000, Tom Pickles wrote:

The diesel C-Max has a cover under the engine bay. It's fiddly to remove, and clips often break when it's replaced. The OP is trying to avoid that difficulty.
There shouldn't be any swarf in the sump; that's what the oil filter is for!
If the OP has the equipment available to remove the oil in this way, there won't be any harm in it. I personally like to have a look underneath for any other issues whilst servicing, so it's not something I would do however.
AFAIK, it's not caused any issues for Smart cars...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 14:12:55 GMT, Chris Whelan

Sorry Chris I should have said it is a petrol engine not diesel, I have now had a go at putting a tube down the dipstick but it seems to hit something before getting to the bottom of the sump, and I notice this engine has a short dipstick that only looks at the first 3/4 lit of the oil level - so - a poor design for this method is the answer probably! For Tom - Garages use this method of oil extraction all the time... for just an oilchange it saves time and wear etc. and then some can charge for new drain washers etc that they havnt' actually used. Some of these modern cars are so shrouded and tightly packed that service ease has been totally disregarded! At least on my Peugeot the oil filter can be changed without unshrouding and needing a garage with a hoist or a pit. Unlike this C-Max where the new filter can only be fitted from underneath after unshrouding.!. Charlie+