Options for radio

Hello

I'd like to get the steering column radio controls working in my S-reg

1.6LX. The radio in it is a 3000 Traffic. I don't believe that it is the original radio. The remote controls are present on the steering column but they do nothing.

Looking on Ebay, I could pick up a 6000, a 5000 or a 4000. All I really do is listen to the radio, so I'm not so fussed about a CD. Before I buy, however, I wanted to check that these models are compatible with a steering column control. Also, I wonder if I have the wiring for the steering column controls or just the controls themselves.

Has anyone out there got a 1.6LX from 1998? What radio should it have come with, how many speakers and does it have a working steering column remote control?

thanks a lot Ben

Reply to
b_whittle

Mine's an early '99 - should be the same :-)

I still have the original Focus brochure. It shows standard fitment for LX or Ghia is a 5000N. Steering column controls would be active. Extra cost option is a CD autochanger.

Standard fitment for CL and Zetec models is shown as a 4000N. Steering column controls would not be fitted. (I don't think the 4000N supports them.) Upgrade is to a 6000CD with steering column controls.

Four speakers are fitted to all (UK) variants.

My car was six months old when I got it; it was being used by the service manager of the dealership. Confusingly, it came with a 6000CD!

AFAIK, the 3000 was not fitted to any UK Focus.

In your position I would look for a used 6000CD because it won't cost much more than a 5000, but might add a little bit to the price when you sell it on. Unless they are broken, the steering column controls will plug in and work.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , "b snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" writes

As Chris has said, the standard fit would have been a 5000. That's what was in my 98 built 1.6lx. That will certainly work with the steering mounted remote, as will the 6000.

The 4000 was fitted to the lower specced Zetec and CL models which didn't have the steering mounted remote and I don't think it will be compatible.

- Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website

Paul Giverin

The 5000 seems to have been the standard - and it does work with the remote. You can have my old RDS EON 5000 if you cover the postage ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Richard,

I'd like to buy your 5000. How do I get in touch? You can reply to my hotmail if you are able to sell.

thanks Ben

Reply to
b_whittle

You have mail ;)