Overdrive

Is it generally a good idea to disengage the overdrive (which is on by default) in my 2004 Focus when doing city driving (lots of stopping/ starting, hills, etc.). It seems to make sense but then I wonder
whether it is good for the transmission to be regularly disengaging the overdrive like that. Or is the preferred practice to simply leave it in overdrive with the rare exception of climbing/descending major hills and the like.
The simple answer is, NO. Top gear, OD, does not engage until around 35 MPH or so. If you car that had a three speed tranny would you drive around in second gear?
mike

It seems that when I disengage the OD even below 35 MPH, the car kicks into a lower gear. Why would this be if the car isn't technically in OD until around 35 MPH? Thanks, Barry

Try reading your owners manual, then operate the vehicle as suggested therein, WBMA
mike

If you find the car hunts back and forth into top gear, then yes disable the OD- it is recommended for Foci, and Mondeo's in the UK where habitual hunting back and forth kills the 'box, as the torque loading shreds the 3rd gear clutch pack.
Tim. .