PATS

Can the pats system be removed from my car so I can just use a normal key? Or is it tied into the cars main ecu?

Not likely and almost certainly.
What good would be a security scheme that was so easily removed??

As show on a UK TV program recently - the thieves bring along their own ECU with matching key. It only takes a few seconds to swap the ECU in order to steal the car.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

key?
You will find that on all recent fords, and alot of other recent cars, the ECU multiplug has a metal shield over it wihich is rivetted in place, and that the ECU has shear bolts which fasten it to the car also; so plugging in another ECU is next to impossible without afair bit of careful drilling / wrestling.
Tim. .
I never asked if it could "easily" be removed , just if it could be done. But thanks anyway.
I think I will try to tape my working key to the steering colum under the plastic near the ignition and try a regular no pats key. I belive I read somewhere as long as the pats key is within 7 to 10 inches of the ignition this might work. $100 for my dealer to program a new key for me is a joke seeing as it was them who sold me the car with only one key.

wrong... i have a pats key and a regular old key... the pats key starts the car but the regular one... even though its an inch from the pats wont start it. qwerty wrote:

I tried the same thing and got the same results you did.
On 2 Sep 2006 10:59:26 -0700, in alt.autos.ford.focus you wrote:

The problem is with the ignition lock tumblers. You could remove the tumblers so that the ignition can be turned by hand. The car will start as long as a programmed PATS key is within a few inches. In fact, just insert the key into the lockless ignition. That will work.
Qualified locksmiths can fix the worn tumblers and program a new key for much less than a dealer.
-- Don
I take it u only have 1 key left first of all.
If that's the route you are going to take then I would remove the antenna from around the barrel and just tape your key inside it in the steering column cowlings.
REMEMBERING your insurance company should be notified if this as u are disabling the security system on your car ;)
HTH
MC