PATS

Can the pats system be removed from my car so I can just use a normal key? Or is it tied into the cars main ecu?

Reply to
qwerty

Not likely and almost certainly.

What good would be a security scheme that was so easily removed??

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Bob Minchin wrote

As show on a UK TV program recently - the thieves bring along their own ECU with matching key. It only takes a few seconds to swap the ECU in order to steal the car.

Reply to
Alan

I never asked if it could "easily" be removed , just if it could be done. But thanks anyway.

Reply to
qwerty

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

The problem is with the ignition lock tumblers. You could remove the tumblers so that the ignition can be turned by hand. The car will start as long as a programmed PATS key is within a few inches. In fact, just insert the key into the lockless ignition. That will work.

Qualified locksmiths can fix the worn tumblers and program a new key for much less than a dealer.

-- Don

Reply to
Don McC

I tried the same thing and got the same results you did.

Reply to
Frog Legs

You will find that on all recent fords, and alot of other recent cars, the ECU multiplug has a metal shield over it wihich is rivetted in place, and that the ECU has shear bolts which fasten it to the car also; so plugging in another ECU is next to impossible without afair bit of careful drilling / wrestling.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I take it u only have 1 key left first of all.

If that's the route you are going to take then I would remove the antenna from around the barrel and just tape your key inside it in the steering column cowlings.

REMEMBERING your insurance company should be notified if this as u are disabling the security system on your car ;)

HTH

MC

Reply to
Ford worker.