Possible Alternator Problem

Recently, the spedometer as well as the gas and oil meters on the dash have been going from their normal resting pointing and shooting all the way to the far right when I start my car. It does not do this every time I start my car, but has been doing it many times a week. This once happened when I had an Oldsmobile, and I ended up needing my alternator replaced. Could this be an early warning sign even though nothing else seems to be wrong driving wise?

Reply to
cortdog35

In message , cortdog35 wrote

There is a dash test mode that is obtained by holding the odometer reset in while starting the car.

Perhaps the odometer reset switch is not fully disengaged?

Reply to
Alan

I thought that was part of normal power-on self test, AFAIK mine has been doing that since I got it in '01, it pegs at the top, drops back to the bottom then goes to normal operation from then on.

Reply to
me
[...]

No, it's not normal.

I've had my '99 LX from new and it only started doing it about a year ago. At first it was only when the weather was really cold. Now it happens most of the time, but not when the car has had a good run, and is then restarted.

I've assumed it is related to the battery voltage as I still have the original but that's just a guess. It doesn't seem to be a problem so I'm just ignoring it :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I might be battery then, I know mine is getting weak, they tested it last time it was in for an oil change, I did the brakes then instead, decided to wait another month for the battery, until it gets a little colder.

Reply to
underdog