Problems with Witter towbar electrics

I'm having a few problems with A Witter tow bar electrics kit and hope someone can help.

I'm fitting the kit to my 1999 UK Ford Focus hatchback - for simplicity I decided to get the specific kit from Witter for this car, which from the Witter website is their part number ZEKF0001. This plugs into the car loom and adds an electronics box marked 5C009. From the instruction leaflet the kit appears to be made by a company called ECS Electronics.

I located the connectors and installed everything OK. The Witter 12N socket had a terminal marked '8' with a link to pin 2 which is made when there is no plug fitted and opens when there is a plug fitted. I figured this was for the foglight and was the terminal referred to as '2A' in the Witter instruction leaflet, so I connected the grey wire to it.

So far so good, now to the problems.

Firstly, the foglight and reversing light are back to front - if I put the car into reverse, the trailer foglight comes on. When the trailer is plugged in the car reverse light is disabled instead of the car foglight. I have followed the colour code for 12N, so I figure it must be an error in the kit wiring - I'm thinking it could be the kit is for a LHD Focus which has the reverse and foglights on the opposite sides - does this sound possible?

Secondly there is no audible indicator warning included - I thought for the price of the kit it would include everything, but apparently not. Do I have to fit an audible warning, or is there any way to get a warning indicator on the Focus?

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris