Question for badraptor

Question for badraptor:

Since your a seasoned tech. you may be able to shed some advice on this. Perhaps you've already seen (heard) this before. The only potential problem with my new (to me) 2000 Focus LX w/SP eng.-15K miles, is a wurring noise coming from the serpantine belt system. I can almost pinpoint it to the AC condensor area underneath. (noise unchanged when AC kicked on and off) I can't see where the tensioner pully is so I can't rule that out either. (Boy that eng, is packed in there tight!) The noise is loudest when everything is good and cold (below 40 deg. F.) almost goes away (but not completely) when warmed up . Should I have this checked out or monitor it's condition for awhile. My mother in law's Saturn has made a similar noise for 2 years now. (but not under a 3 mo. dealer warranty) I've found that having things replaced that haven't actually failed yet can actually turn out worse in the long run. (replacement parts sometimes are lower quality than orig.) My hunch is to follow the "if it works, don't fix it" approach and just keep an eye (ear) on it and purchase more warramy by Feb. What do you think. John

Reply to
John Doe

Well lets see without hearing it its very hard for me to help you, but lets try to get you into this and try to get you to diag it yourself! Lets start here get a screwdriver with a long shank like 12 to 15 inches or a 12 inch 3/8 extension put one end to your ear and the other to the suspect component.PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO IT SAFELY MAKE SURE ITS NOT TOUCHING ANY ROTATING COMPONENTS! The best spot is right at the base of any rotating component nearest the bearing of that component.before you get oyur wife ,girlfriend,or siad friend to start the car make sure you have all the places that you want to put the screwdriver mapped out already because you dont want the car to get warm! then listen for the loadest rumbling noise and that will be your bad component. i hope this helps!i will look for any known issues that might help you tommarrow ok.

SENIOR MASTER FORD TECH AND PROUD OF IT! "John Doe" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
badraptor

I'm with you so far. I.ve actually done this before a long time ago on a car that you could actaully get at the components. That Focus engine is packed in so tight that I cant' even see the belt tensioner(s), but I'll give it a go this weekend. i'll get my one of teenage sons to assist. They both are already quite familiar with the up .... down ... up .... down routine involved with bleeding brakes. Now they're a bit gun shy when I ask them to help with car repairs. Now they ask: "i'm not gonna sit in it and pump the brakes again for an hour again, while you lay underneath cussing and swearing, am I dad"?

I'll let you know, thanks,

John

--------------- . . .

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor

OK, LAMO (laughing my ass off) - all three of us. Im sitting here reading the group waiting for the sun to warm up the Focus and driveway before we do the rod-stethoscope thing. My two boys say hi and they are now even happier I bought the Focus 'cause it brought me here. John

Reply to
John Doe

OK - metal rod stethoscope test is complete and the culprit seems to be the alternator. (and no JOR, there were no stains on the seat after) The lights do "wiggle" a little at idle when things are turned on and off so this may be related, but I doubt it. Probably just low quality alternator all around. I've read here that most of Ford's problems have been with their vendor's quality control. I cant get anywhere near either of the two idler pullies, but there's definately a mild high-pitched noise comng through the rod from the alternator, but not any of the other belt-driven units. (that I can reach without risking a rod stuck in the side of my skull) The last alternator bearing gone bad for me was way back on my Dad's '70 Catalina after I revved it too high racing another half drunk teenager, oops heh heh, sorry dad. (nice fast 400 eng.!) That one made a unmistakably loud screeeeeeeching noise though. My plan is to buy more wrranty and enjoy the little pocket rocket for a while.

Speaking of half drunk - . . .

. . . I musta dunnit right 'cause we did some of our best partying WHILE working on our cars. Must be why I forgot the metal rod stethoscope thing. ;-} We've since outgrown all that and now buy cars with warranties. One of our gang swore by Fords, wouldn't drive anything else, still wont. He's now a deisel mechanic. Turns out he is one of my wife's cousins. Small world. John

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor