Radio-CD problem

I have Ford Focus ZX3-2000. Radio-CD doesn't work properly. It works well, and without any reason suddenly loses power and stops to work. After some
period it starts to work again, and again stops to work... Can I fix that by myself? Please help.
kgrh wrote:

It is difficult to troubleshoot it via the net but one possibility is that it could just be losing power. It could be something as simple as a bad connection or a loose fuse. The two fuses that you want to check are fuse 31 (20 amp - yellow) and fuse 62 (7.5 amp - brown). The fuse panel is located on the driver's side of your Focus (under the CD storage unit - if equipped).
If that isn't the problem it is likely the radio itself (or possibly wiring). That will likely require a lot more expertise and it would be advisable to take it to a dealer.
--
Bill R

Remove "notforspam" to reply by e-mail

Does it have a key-code and deas it ask for this code after power loss?
I don't have anything to add except that I have the exact same problem on my 2001 Wagon. It is very intermittent. The radio seems to lose power completely and then come back on a few seconds later. Once this starts, it happens repeatedly and then usually it shuts down altogether for a while.
I have sort of noticed that it coincides with hard braking - which lends credence to the loose connection theory. If I get around to tracking it down, I will surely post my findings but I may have to wait until the problem gets worse.
I also have the well-known speed sensor problem. With the AVC enabled, the radio volume surges and fades with the wildly swinging speedometer. I doubt the two problems are related but in combination, they make the sound system seem a little posessed.
-S

If your radio has the security code feature and it doesn't ask for it after these power losses, the problem is possibly with a bad contact of the security tab.
this happens to me.... it is the anti-theft device. where the 2 3 4 5 buttons are, that piece comes off and if there is a bad connection there it is going to do that intermittent on/off. just take it off and replace it or as I do, just push on it and it will come back on.

jiggle the security tab (preset 3 and 4) and the little button on the left that releases it.
2001 Yellow ZX3
nope that did not seem to work...the presets work as does search, etc. but only staic on FM stations.