Radio controls

Hello,
I've been a focus owner for just under 6 hours. Got it second hand. On the way home I noticed that the radio controls on the steering column
don't do anything - the radio only responds to the buttons on it. I am wondering where to start troubleshooting this. I can't guarantee that the radio is the original but it is a Ford (3000 Traffic). I'm driving a 1998 1.6LX
Can anyone confirm whether the remote controls should be working?
thanks Ben

I don't think the 3000 series had the remote options - certainly it isn't listed as having the required connector for it on the specs page I found.
Get a 7000 off eBay - they are cheap enough ;)

The 6000 would be better as its a CD player. If a CD unit isn't needed than a 5000 (radio-cassette) works with the remote stalk. The 5000 should be dirt cheap as many people have upgraded from the 5000 to the 6000.
--
Paul Giverin

Very interesting, both of you. Thanks for your information so far. Buying a second hand car really can be an adventure...
I would like to get a CD player so the 6000 sounds good. I do not know what equipment came as standard in a 98 S reg 1.6 LX. I am guessing that a 5000 or 6000 came as standard and someone stripped it out to sell before they sold me the car. I have not had a root around to find any speakers in the rear. So far I believe that only the front speakers are active in my car (the 3000 series only supported 2 channels, is that right?)
Assuming that I get a 5000 or a 6000 on ebay, is it a simple slot in and connect the cables, or might something else be required for getting the reomte controls working?
thanks a lot Ben
b snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

But easier if you research it first... :-)

The '98 LX would have had a 5000N as standard, with an extra-cost option of a 6000 plus CD autochanger. (The CL and Zetec got the 4000N, with an upgrade option to the 6000CD single CD player.)
As an aside, my '99 LX (which I had as an ex-demonstrator) came with a 6000CD single-CD player; according to the brochure, which I still have, this is not possible!

Note that the 5000 is a cassette player!
It will be a simple plug-in job because you are returning your car to how it would have been originally *unless* the original wiring has been hacked in some way.
It seems likely that at some time your car has had a third-party sound system fitted, and the original sold or lost. When the car was sold, the first available Ford unit was put in to fill the hole!
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.