Radio controls

Hello,

I've been a focus owner for just under 6 hours. Got it second hand. On the way home I noticed that the radio controls on the steering column don't do anything - the radio only responds to the buttons on it. I am wondering where to start troubleshooting this. I can't guarantee that the radio is the original but it is a Ford (3000 Traffic). I'm driving a 1998 1.6LX

Can anyone confirm whether the remote controls should be working?

thanks Ben

Reply to
b_whittle

I don't think the 3000 series had the remote options - certainly it isn't listed as having the required connector for it on the specs page I found.

Get a 7000 off eBay - they are cheap enough ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

In message , Richard Parkin writes

The 7000 is cassette unit albeit one which is CD changer compatible.

The 6000 would be better as its a CD player. If a CD unit isn't needed than a 5000 (radio-cassette) works with the remote stalk. The 5000 should be dirt cheap as many people have upgraded from the 5000 to the

6000.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

Very interesting, both of you. Thanks for your information so far. Buying a second hand car really can be an adventure...

I would like to get a CD player so the 6000 sounds good. I do not know what equipment came as standard in a 98 S reg 1.6 LX. I am guessing that a 5000 or 6000 came as standard and someone stripped it out to sell before they sold me the car. I have not had a root around to find any speakers in the rear. So far I believe that only the front speakers are active in my car (the 3000 series only supported 2 channels, is that right?)

Assuming that I get a 5000 or a 6000 on ebay, is it a simple slot in and connect the cables, or might something else be required for getting the reomte controls working?

thanks a lot Ben

Reply to
b_whittle
[...]

But easier if you research it first... :-)

The '98 LX would have had a 5000N as standard, with an extra-cost option of a 6000 plus CD autochanger. (The CL and Zetec got the 4000N, with an upgrade option to the 6000CD single CD player.)

As an aside, my '99 LX (which I had as an ex-demonstrator) came with a

6000CD single-CD player; according to the brochure, which I still have, this is not possible!

Note that the 5000 is a cassette player!

It will be a simple plug-in job because you are returning your car to how it would have been originally *unless* the original wiring has been hacked in some way.

It seems likely that at some time your car has had a third-party sound system fitted, and the original sold or lost. When the car was sold, the first available Ford unit was put in to fill the hole!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan