Re Changing timing belt on TDI

What are peoples view please as to the criteria for changing the above.
My Focus TDI is coming up for 50,OOO miles and is about 5 years old.
Thanks

Dee
Deebrief wrote in message ...

Ford UK say 100k miles/10 years which ever comes first.
To me this feels too long. A belt change is cheap compared with a written off engine. Don't forget to change the idlers and tensioner too.
Bob

Just had mine done at 90,000 miles (4 yrs and 7 months at the time)
Belt was looking a little tired but I believe it could have done another 10,000 easy.
"EOO" <whereeverforever.com> wrote in message

Getting mine done this week at its 75K service. How much did the change cost you?
Gary.

I had the water pump & belt tensioner replaced at the same time. I think it was around $550 to $570 for parts and labor for everything.

To add an answer to my own question... it's costing 250 for my TDCi. Three and a half hours work apparently. The Service Manager did say the 100K interval was realistic and he'd not heard of any problems, however I decided not to chance it.
Plus 60 for a full air-con service, and 200 for a major service. An expensive week!
Gary.

I seem to recall that all Ford interference engines use a timing chain, while the less reliable timing belt is used only on non-interference engines.
I believe that the 1.6 L SOHC, 2.0 L DOHC, and all diesels are interference designs. Can anyone verify this for me?
-- Don

The TDCi and TDDi certainly use belts. Although, A) I'm in the UK and B) Mine's a 2002 model, so they could well have changed things with the new Focus.
G.
Bob Minchin wrote:

For mine (2.0 Zetec US 2001) the recommended interval is 120,000 miles. I had it changed about 100K.
On my engine, it's a non-intereference design, so a time belt failure does not mean an engine failure.