Re: Rust on Tailgate of 2.0i Ghia

Yes, mine is a 1999 Ghia and I have solved the problem myself. Albeit a minimal rust spot caused by the same problem, I have stopped this happening again by making a black Neoprene rubber gasket 3mm thick and exactly the same size as the chrome trim along its full length, and then refitting so that the metal tailgate handle does not come into contact with the paintwork at any point. I carried out this operation in March 2003 and to this day there has not been any reocurrence of the problem. Its only a shame that the Ford engineers can't come up with the same simple answer.

Best regards & good luck. Len.

For the second time in a year my 1999 2.0i Ghia is going to the dealer to > have the tailgate resprayed. According to the dealer the chrome/plastic > coachwork rubs on the boot/tailgate and goes through the paint and lets the > moisture get in. > > > > Has anyone else had this same problem? > >
Reply to
Weatherman

my father has the same problem with a zetec with black plastic rear trim

Reply to
j*

chrome/plastic

Reply to
Weatherman

My 99 Ghia had this problem though no rust just a spot where the paint was damaged at the right hand end of the trim. The touch up kit sorted the problem out, non mettalic finish on mine so pretty easy to deal with.

Anti Spam trap in Use. To reply remove "REMOVE" from email address header. Same rule for Reply to address. J Glover.

Reply to
John Glover
2.0i Trend, with chrome. This month it will be sprayed for the second time.

Also the lights above the number plates. 5-6 times new ones. It lokks like a major problem which can't be solved. Next year my car is out of the waranty. What will Ford do after this period? I guess....... nothing?

"Listen" schreef in bericht news:c4cq7h$8t0$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

Reply to
johoo