Re: (UK) Leaking windscreen - What damage?

I had the leak into the passenger footwell which my Ford dealer fixed under warranty. I recently removed the black plastic cover over the air intake housing to see what the he had done, expecting to see that sealant had been applied. Their fix was a suprise: they simply inserted a piece of plastic coated cardboard (the kind use in car widows to show the price.) over the air intake housing. They had duct-taped two pieces together and shoved in in so that it formed an arc over the housing, so that the water runs off of the top and air can get in on the sides. I doubt that this is what is in the TSB, but it works.

There is a Ford TSB about leakage of water into the passenger side in heavy > rain or going through a car wash. It is caused by poor sealing around the > air intake housing. Ford used a sealent which did not work properly. I am > sure if you take it to your Ford Dealer they will help you out. It appears > that this problem was common on both North American Focus and European > models. If you have a 3 year warranty then your car is covered under it. > > > My 2001 Focus 2.0 Ghia has the problem of leaking into the passenger > footwell. The problem only started when Autoglass fitted a new

windscreen,

Aug 2002, due to a crack in the old. My insurance company insisted on using > Autoglass, not Ford. > > Since being fitted, the have had to reseal the windscreen 4 or 5 times due > to leaking on the lower left, near or through the pollen filter. Fixes > sometimes last days, other times months. Last 'fix' was two weeks ago; today > I have a inch of standing water in the passenger footwell. I complained > last Monday but the earliest they could look at it is tomorrow (Friday) - so > it's been wet for at least 5 days. > > Couple of questions: > 1. What damage could this have caused? Obvious problem is a musty smell > from the constantly wet carpet - will this dry out OK, will it stain/rot? > The carpet is (was) light beige. Also, the fan now seems to be less > efficient, rattly and the aircon not as good. I'm also worried about other > issues - such could there be any wiring affected and will this cause rust? > > 2. What comeback do I have? I've spoken to my insurers (NU), been passed > around and they are not calling me back. They said I could put in a > 'claim' - whoops there goes no claims bonus. > > Any advice / suggestions appreciated. > > > > > >
Reply to
Gary Compton