Re: Water infiltration

Hi,

> > Has anyone ever had water accumulate in the passenger foot-well of their >Focus after a good rain storm? I had a good 1+ inches of water there after a >heavy storm. No other water was seen: anywhere on the driver's side, inside >of doors, dashboard, etc. > > Given that the dashboard, doors and seats were dry, I'm guessing that water >either came in from the right front wheel well or even more likely, from the >air intake for the heat/AC system due to a plugged drain. > > Before I get really involved in finding the source and fixing it, I look to >you for advice. If the problem is a plugged drain in the air intake causing >water to enter into the heating/AC ducts, why would the water--and I mean >LOTS of water--only appear on the floor of the passenger's side of the car >with an absolutely dry driver's side carpeting? > > It's a 2001 4-dr USA ZTS. The storm that put over an inch of water in part >of the car was a good 2" all-day rain, rare at this time of year for >Flagstaff AZ. The car sat during most of the storm but I drove home 27 miles >while it was still raining. I don't know if the water got into the car as it >sat or only after driving home. I first noticed it when I arrived at home but >am guessing that it was there before I drove home. > > Thanks.

If you search this group via Google you'll find that this subject has been covered more than once. The water is coming in via the pollen filter, which is just underneath the windscreen on the passenger side. The filter needs re-sealing. A well-known fault. Happens here in the UK too :-( Had breakfast in Flagstaff 12 years ago on our way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon - wonderful holiday. Hope your problem is soon sorted.

Reply to
MCC

In message , Craig wrote

Cabin/pollen filter cover not seated correctly. The cover is sited at the bottom of the front windscreen (passenger side) and forms part of the windscreen seal. The fixings for the cover are under the three black round screw covers. It's a common problem, often mentioned in this group after the car has been serviced.

Reply to
Alan

Craig

As has already been pointed out , this is a pollen filter problem.

I had the same, but found out the garage had not changed it during the previous service. Maybe worth checking this with them.

All the best

Nick

Reply to
Nick Dunstan

Hi,

I have a 2001 plain-Jane SE Wagon (gold). Wears out back tires like they're going out of style.

Anyway, I had the water in the passenger footwell deal when the car was about four months old. You could drive in a rainstorm, but if the car sat in a storm, the psgr footwell flooded. They found it right away!

When the car was built, about a 12 inches of the top of the windshld on the psgr side had not been prepared properly at the factory. The dealer removed the wndshld and removed the paint and preped it properly and reinstalled the wndsh correctly. No problems since. A few months later I had the complete rug changed under warranty as it shrunk and would not remain fasted properly near the psgr door molding.

Wayne Sudbury, Ontario.

Reply to
Bob Watson

Though I have not experienced this particular problem, I have heard that water can enter the front passenger's footwell quite easily, if the cabin air filter cover isn't properly secured, and, in my own experience, have found possitioning that cover to be a bit tricky. This could also be a cause of the problem.

Rob

Reply to
Specter

Can anybody tell me where to find this filter. I think I might have the=20 same problem.

The dealer is asking for =A322.50 to spray some water on the car to find=20 the leak. Where I live in Scotland rain comes free and I'm sure I could=20 check this filter if I knew where to find it.

Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Eddie

The cover for the filter at the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side. Black in colour, about 2ft long fixed in place with 3 screws under some black screw covers. I assume the water comes down the windscreen, gets under the rubber seal at the bottom of the windscreen and into the aperture that lets filtered air into the inside of the cabin. From other posts in this group an actual pollen filter element may not actually be fitted - instead a corrugated card element or nothing, may be substituted on cheaper models.)

Reply to
Alan

Thanks Alan.

I've also found a website which shows how to fit a new pollen filter

The next dry day we have I think I'll tackle the problem

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

How often do you rotate the tires on it ? I do mine every oil change about

3,000 miles or so...my dealer only charges like $1.50 for it. Good deal for me...Linda
Reply to
HbgpodLW

Your dealer must have a special interest in you, the norm around here is $5 per tire plus 8% tax.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

They want people to rotate their tires more often - that's all. They have it for the oil change might as well have them rotate the tires too...I also check my tire pressure more often too especially with these wild temp. changes here this fall...Plus if you buy tires at Sears they rotate for free too. One reason I tend to look there for tires - that way I can shop while I wait. Prices are usually competitive also. Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW