Rear Brake Drum Removal

OK, I must be missing something really basic here. I'm trying to remove the rear drums, and I can't get them off. Vehicles I've owned in the past just required wheel removal and maybe clips on the wheel
studs if the drum had never been removed before. At this point, mine don't budge.
Looking at AllData, it doesn't address the removal of the drum, but instead references removal of the entire hub assembly, and that has me unbolting the hub from the rear. Not what I'm trying to do.
Online (experts.about.com) I found reference to removing the center dustcap and nut to allow the drum to come off. While this seemed logical, (since the cap is exposed), I wasn't really having any luck getting a small screwdriver in between the cap and drum. I didn't want to completely destroy the cap if this isn't the proper way to do this job.
Help?
Matt 00 Focus SE Wagon
Matt Mead wrote:

If you are removing the drums in order to access the brakes, the preferred method is to remove the 4 bolts from the back plate as AllData is saying. This avoids disturbing the wheel bearing, and gives more room. If you have ABS, disconnect the sensor wire and be careful when threading it through.
If you need to remove the drum to replace it or the hub bearings, then you do need to remove the centre nut. Check the torque settings - it is quite tight!
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:16:38 GMT, Chris Whelan

Thanks!
After doing some more searching, I found more info describing the same thing you said. In fact, a good write-up with pics is here:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modidH
Basically, I think I'll be doing both as I seem to have a wheel bearing on its way out.....
Thanks again.
Matt 00 Focus SE Wagon
The caps you are trying to save are designed to be thrown away. It is easier to just remove them and put new ones on. There is a nut under the cap that has to be removed and the hub comes off. Can become an expensive project if not done properly. Especially when putting it back togeather.