Reflections on Windshield

I just bought a 2006 Ford Focus ZXW SE to replace my againg and soon to be retired '98 Escort Wagon. All in all I am pretty pleased with the Focus Wagon. It is a much taller vehicle and it takes a bit of getting used to not having that sports car feeling, but I am getting used to the SUV feel.

I have noticed though that the dash seems to be reflected up into the window - especially the rounded section above the instrument panel. While in most cases (so far) this has been little more than an annoyance I would definately like to have a reflection free view of the road. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to remove/diminish this glare? (it is a pueblo gold car with the stipply plastic dash if that makes a difference)

Also, under the HVAC controls there is a little holder area. Really, it is too small for to serve any useful purpose that I can think of. Does anybody have any idea what this area is for?

Reply to
theclyde

Patrick Bennington

about 90% of the time the little storage area is used for an optional accessory... my old honda had it (we used it as a cell phone storage) but it was actually intended for a LCD touchpad Graphic Equalizer.. on some cars the storage area is used as a filler the bezel would be replaced with one that has a cutout of the storage and the radio for a display for a touchscreen interface or an accessory that would need to use the spot.. the dealers use the area not used for storage in the futal attempt to make more storage areas that are almost useless

Reply to
Rob B

Yeah, there is some wierd thinking going on behind the scenes for some interior design choices. The area is really too shallow for to be usefull to me - anything I could think of would just fall right out.

The car is back at the dealer right now getting the rust inhbitor installed and some special coating applied. I think I might ask them about solutions to the glare when I pick it up.

Rob B wrote:

Reply to
theclyde

one of my cars had a glare so bad that I had the windsheld replaced with one with a anti glare coating on the inside and out it cost alot more but it was worth it there may be treatments or a coating you can put on it but I rather not attempt to put an antiglare coating myself because most tint/antiglare peel and sticks don;t last long and being in direct sun would pretty much melt it and bubble it thats why I went with a windshield with one put on by its manufacturer

Reply to
Rob B

On 1 Aug 2006 07:14:57 -0700, "theclyde" wrote Re Reflections on Windshield:

How about polarized lens sunglasses? That might help. It would be a cheap fix. Plus it would make you look cool.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Polarized would fix the issue? I might have to try that. Although, they would probably be more expensive than my $1 sunglasses I currently use.

I talked with the people at the dealership. They said some people lay down a matte cloth (dark felt they said as an example).

Maybe next paycheck I will try both.

Reply to
Craig Bennett

Polarized sunglasses (at least the 4 I've tried) won't make the glare go away. If anybody has a better solution other than the dealers taking guesses (laying dark felt down, sigh, you'd think they could come up with something better than that...) please pass it on. I looked for those pre-cut carpet things (Dash-mat?) when I got my ZTW back in 03, but they didn't make them for that football field we refer to as the top of the dash.

Reply to
Okidiver

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:59:01 -0500, "Okidiver" wrote Re Re: Reflections on Windshield:

Are you an "Oki"? From Norman perhaps?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Not uncommon to notice things like that when one buys a new vehicle. Drive the car a while and you will not notice the reflection, I'll bet. As to the little storage bin, if is for small stuff that serves no useful purpose. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How long might that take? I've had my Focus seven years and the screen reflections still annoy me... :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

LOL my resolution was replace the windsheild with one that had a anti glare treatment on it

Reply to
Rob B

I have now emailed Ford to see what they have to suggest.

Actually, the reflection of the dash itself is not too bad. It is the lines around the passenger airbag and the lines around the raised section of the instrument panel that cause my grief.

Reply to
Craig Bennett

I guess some folks find it harder to adjust to things then others. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Naw, actually it's for OkiNAWA, but I did live in Midwest City for 3 years back in the 80s. Got a good friend still living back there... and maybe a couple unknown children...;-)

Reply to
Okidiver

I've found there's nothing I can't fling out of the worthless little storage area by taking an easy left or right turn.

I have a 2006 ZX4 and I am thinking that if I get the AUX harness for my iPod, maybe I can have it snaked through the back of there and geri-rig a "lip" for it to hold it in place.

"theclyde" wrote:

Reply to
Shelle

Double stick tape will work

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, I recieved a form-type letter back from ford.ca saying that they are a customer serviec center and cannot answer question about how to reduce the glare. They told me to contact my dealer, which I already had done with no good results. Very dissapointing. I guess I will have to go back to the dealer and ask them again.

Reply to
Craig Bennett

Hah... Not sure that's the answer but I like the way you think. :)

Reply to
Shelle

Sounds like you may have cataracts LOL

mike