Reflections on Windshield

Page 1 of 3
I just bought a 2006 Ford Focus ZXW SE to replace my againg and soon to be retired '98 Escort Wagon. All in all I am pretty pleased with the Focus Wagon. It is a much taller vehicle and it takes a bit of getting
used to not having that sports car feeling, but I am getting used to the SUV feel.
I have noticed though that the dash seems to be reflected up into the window - especially the rounded section above the instrument panel. While in most cases (so far) this has been little more than an annoyance I would definately like to have a reflection free view of the road. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to remove/diminish this glare? (it is a pueblo gold car with the stipply plastic dash if that makes a difference)
Also, under the HVAC controls there is a little holder area. Really, it is too small for to serve any useful purpose that I can think of. Does anybody have any idea what this area is for?
I have an '06 ZX3. I know about the glare you refer to, but don't really know if there's anything you can do. That little storage area? Worthless.

about 90% of the time the little storage area is used for an optional accessory... my old honda had it (we used it as a cell phone storage) but it was actually intended for a LCD touchpad Graphic Equalizer.. on some cars the storage area is used as a filler the bezel would be replaced with one that has a cutout of the storage and the radio for a display for a touchscreen interface or an accessory that would need to use the spot.. the dealers use the area not used for storage in the futal attempt to make more storage areas that are almost useless

Yeah, there is some wierd thinking going on behind the scenes for some interior design choices. The area is really too shallow for to be usefull to me - anything I could think of would just fall right out.
The car is back at the dealer right now getting the rust inhbitor installed and some special coating applied. I think I might ask them about solutions to the glare when I pick it up.
Rob B wrote:

one of my cars had a glare so bad that I had the windsheld replaced with one with a anti glare coating on the inside and out it cost alot more but it was worth it there may be treatments or a coating you can put on it but I rather not attempt to put an antiglare coating myself because most tint/antiglare peel and sticks don;t last long and being in direct sun would pretty much melt it and bubble it thats why I went with a windshield with one put on by its manufacturer

wrote Re Reflections on Windshield:

How about polarized lens sunglasses? That might help. It would be a cheap fix. Plus it would make you look cool.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:59:51 -0500, Vic Dura

Polarized would fix the issue? I might have to try that. Although, they would probably be more expensive than my $1 sunglasses I currently use.
I talked with the people at the dealership. They said some people lay down a matte cloth (dark felt they said as an example).
Maybe next paycheck I will try both.
Polarized sunglasses (at least the 4 I've tried) won't make the glare go away. If anybody has a better solution other than the dealers taking guesses (laying dark felt down, sigh, you'd think they could come up with something better than that...) please pass it on. I looked for those pre-cut carpet things (Dash-mat?) when I got my ZTW back in 03, but they didn't make them for that football field we refer to as the top of the dash.
--
Rapid Rick
"Just Dive, Baby"

Naw, actually it's for OkiNAWA, but I did live in Midwest City for 3 years back in the 80s. Got a good friend still living back there... and maybe a couple unknown children...;-)
--
Rapid Rick
"Just Dive, Baby"

Mike Hunter wrote:

How long might that take? I've had my Focus seven years and the screen reflections still annoy me... :-)
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

LOL my resolution was replace the windsheild with one that had a anti glare treatment on it

I have now emailed Ford to see what they have to suggest.
Actually, the reflection of the dash itself is not too bad. It is the lines around the passenger airbag and the lines around the raised section of the instrument panel that cause my grief.

Well, I recieved a form-type letter back from ford.ca saying that they are a customer serviec center and cannot answer question about how to reduce the glare. They told me to contact my dealer, which I already had done with no good results. Very dissapointing. I guess I will have to go back to the dealer and ask them again.
I guess some folks find it harder to adjust to things then others. ;)
mike hunt

Sounds like you may have cataracts LOL
mike

Or there is a problem with windshields sloped at that type of angle. The reflection is still bothering me. To the point where I will be looking at a different style of car (one with a less angled windshield) in 4-5 years when I replace the new focus.
Craig Bennett wrote:

Try polarised (sun)glasses - should cut out all the reflections.
D.

That has been suggested and shot down a couple times, and not a real solution as the reflections of the dash into the windshield happen in all sorts of light, including light where sunglasses would be more of a safety issue than a help.
If the top of the dash did not have dark lines in it (between the sloped portion of the dash and the raised rounded area over the instrument console, and around the passenger airboag panel) or was made of a less reflective material (the curved raised part of the dash does not show up in the windshiled, just the textured sloped top of the dash) there would be no issues.