Reflections on Windshield

Page 2 of 3
Craig Bennett wrote:

Ok, hadn't been following the thread earlier. The only time I notice the reflections on mine are in bright direct sunlight when I've forgotten my sunglasses. When wearing polarised sunglasses I don't see any reflections.
As an aside, what difference does height in the seat make. I'm 6'2" (1m87 for our metric friends) and like I say never really notice this problem. Have you tried adjusting seat height?
Biggest problem I have is with the quickclear windscreen at night which produces more glare from on-coming headlights than with windscreens without this feature.
D.

it is definately worse in the bright sun, but it is there all the time when there is light for me. I have a Pueblo Gold vehicle (and I guess the same interior) - don't know if that makes too much a difference.

5'11, seat raised almost as high as it gets, and back as far as it gets. I could try adjusting the height and seeing if it makes too much a difference, but even if it does then it leads to a problem of I like the seat how it is. Heh, on a different note - it is so different than my old 98 Escort wagon - that car was so low to the ground it was crazy. No reflections on the windshield.. but it was a different angle and a smooth darker dash.

Quickclear?
I have not noticed any glare from oncoming vehicles at night. Though I have not driven the new car at night too too much. Winter is coming fast though so within a month or so I will be driving to work in the darkness and home in the darkness (or at least much darker) so my problem may go away till spring.
Craig Bennett wrote:

Heated front windscreen - very thin zig-zag wires vertically placed ~5-10mm apart.
D.

Sweet. I always wondered why those were only available on the read window. It would be a definate benefit in the winter over here. Sometimes I think I spend more time scraping the windows in the winter then I do driving :)
Craig Bennett wrote:

Aye, it's pretty handy here in the Alps in the winter as well. Switch engine on, front and rear screen (and mirror) heaters on, scrape side windows and off you go in 2 minutes flat.
D.
D schreef:

My winter frost routine is exactly the same. But be careful: check the wiper on the passengerside. The tip of this wiper is over a part of the windscreen which is not heated. Once I did not notice and using the wipers to remove the melted ice from the windscreen tore of a bit from the wiperblade because it was still frozen to the windshield. Thibaud
Craig Bennett wrote:

I finally got *that* part of winter driving solved, and I don't miss it at all. :)
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Craig Bennett wrote:

Thanks to you guys, the other day in my '03 I saw the reflections you've been talking about. :) For several seconds, while I was paying attention to them. Then they disappeared again, because I went back to looking at what was outside the car.
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

You are one lucky camper then. Sometimes I have to shift my head a few inches to the side to see around the reflected lines in order to read street signs.
Craig Bennett wrote:

Since I see driver height and interior color is now being discussed, I'll add that I'm 6'0" and my car's interior is grey. And I never wear sun glasses; I don't even own a pair. And I live in sunny Southern California, USA -- in a valley that set its all time high temperature record in late June with 119F/48C; "full sun" is no problem here. ;)
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

I found some matte black fabric hanging around the house. Actually, it is garden weed barrier. Tried laying it over the dash... no more reflection in the windshield at all anymore. Now I just have to find some way to 1) make it look nice. It will take a lot of cutting, and possibly some glueing of edges to make hems 2) attach it semi-perminantly - it will have to be removable for to be washed and when I sell the car. There are little grooves along the dash (closest to the window right where the black window defog vent area starts) and another at the start of the passenger side 3) make it safe - it will be covering the passenger airbag and both dashtop vent holes.
Still - kind of dissapointing to have to disfigure a brand new vehicle. Colour and texture does seem to be a real matter as far as the reflection.
Next project to tackle will be trying to make the windshield wipers more usable at low speeds.
Craig Bennett wrote:

Cool beans, Craig.

Consider taking the project to a car upholstery shop. They'll have the material, the tools and the experience and skills to make something nice. Based on the shop I used for redoing the interior of my Triumph (my daily driver before I got the Focus), I'd think you could have something nice custom made for maybe US$100-$15 (convert as necessary).

...and I'd think it wouldn't as disfiguring as something you slapped together.

Oh, great -- now you're probably going to tell me what's wrong with my wipers, too... ;)
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

I hope that US$100 was a misprint. Wow.. Definately not worth that much to me unless Ford was footing the bill.

Hehe. it is odd.. the way the wipers go it seems the passenger wiper is a couple inches higher than the driver wiper. This leaves a small verical line of water that drips down on the drivers side unless I am driving fairly fast. Also, seems that if I am driving slow, I also get a small stream of water coming up the windshield off the left of the driver wiper. No problems with the passenger wiper design.
I had 0 issues major, minor or otherwise with my Escort wagon. Everything seemed to be so well thought out, in its right place and working just so perfectly designed. I think this is why I am finding myself a bit irritated with the multitude of minor problems I am finding in the Focus wagon,
Craig Bennett wrote:

Not a typo. The $15 ewas the typo -- I meant $150. I thought you wanted something nice for your shiny new car. That's not much for a custom fit. :)

That beats them dueling for space and ending up all bent up. :)

Never noticed these things. If I press the squirt button (with the wipers not running), the wipers make a few passes after the the spray has stopped, then they too stop. Then, several seconds later, they make one more pass, to dispose of the little rivulet that runs down from the top of the area area where the two patterns overlap. Perhaps I'm easily entertained, but I think that's really hip. :)
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Not much for a custom fit, I suppose. But I am not aiming fior something nice for the shiny new car, I am aiming for no reflections. If I had known how bad it would have been, I would have had the dealer give me the $200 discount so I could get this done.

True, but I did not have this problem witht he Escort wagon. I remember the wipers being different sizes, but never saw a problem with the trickle down the drivers side. Or up the drivers side

For sure - I love that second pass. It still impresses me. But I usually end up giving it a third pass and sometimes a forth pass in order to clear the viewing area.
I do notice the passenger wiper seems to be about 1cm longer than the window. Do not know why.. think I will try replacing it with a blade size or two shorter and the drivers side with a larger blade and see if this will give me any results. Well - when it is time to replace the blades I will try this. It may be a while.
Craig Bennett wrote:

Sure, but no reflections even at the cost of ugliness? I thought you also wanted it to look nice.

What $200 discount is that?

I don't know about either of those. I tend not to pay attention to the surface outside the wiped zones. Is that where it's happening?
Incidentally, have you ever used RainX? Not that it's relevant to your issues; I just wondered.

Wait. The passenger-side wiper goes off the windshield because it's too long?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

The discount to get the problem fixed :)

No. Well, the problem starts there. Then it trickles down in front of the drivers side for about 3 extra manual swoops of the blades. Unless I am doing more than 40km/h in which case it trickles up and is not a problem. But at that point I also get a trickle up from the left side of the driver side wiper. Heh, I just cannot win!

Nope. Never even heard of it.

Yeah. At first I thought maybe they (dealer/ford) got the blades on the wrong sides, but no - the passenger blade is shorter than the driver blade. It has a longer arm holding it up though. Maybe they got the arms on backwards?

Craig Bennett wrote:

Oh, *that* one. :)

Ah! I never drive less than 40km/hr. (Don't aske me how I get in and out of the car. <g>)

USan product; didn't remember where you were (until I just read your use of kilometers). It's pretty...er...slick, no pun intended. You probably have access to something like it.
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000636.php
Re that author's enthusiasm about night vision, I happened to have a chance to test that same thing shortly after I first used Rain-X. I was in heavy traffic that slowed the freeway down to about 60km/hr, in a downpour at night. I turned off the wipers and found the view to be surprising; even at that low speed, where I wasn't clearing the glass with a hurricane-like stream of air, I could drive perfectly safely; my vision was amazingly clear.
Perhaps that's why I don't have the trickle-down issues you do...even at low speed, perhaps the water's ending up where it's not available for dribbling down the glass in front of you.
If you have an equivalent, there, it's worth a shot at US$3 - convert as needed - a bottle. I did all of my glass with it, and probably have half the bottle left.

Mine uses 22"/560mm driver's side and 19"/475mm passenger's side.
http://tinyurl.com/jtq89
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

I will have to check the local stores.. I am sure there is a variety of equivilants lining the shelves of the Canadian Tire.
Craig Bennett wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to find Rain-X itself there; but yes, certainly there should be an equivalent.
<clickety>
*Someone* up there's getting it:
<q>
BARC-OC Grand Prix of Ontario Report
I have to say, from the forever optimist's point of view - it was a really fun weekend! Again - the Friday was a stellar day followed by two days of fog, rain and cold. (Note to self - try and attend all of this season's test days - two events for two they've been the best weather track days out so far!). Prepared with a canopy, warm clothing, and the appropriate rain wear - also with some good tread, a window defogger and plenty of RainX it was a good solid weekend of racing! Rain is a great equalizer.
</q>
http://www.varac.ca/NewsItems/Group70%20News%20May%202004.htm