Remote key not working

'99 UK LX

The remote function of my ignition key has gradually been getting weaker despite replacing the batteries twice. It now hardly works at all. If I remove, then replace the battery it sometimes works for 1 or 2 cycles. I'm guessing the fob has died. Replacement at a dealer is an expensive option so I've found that they are sometimes available on eBay. If I buy a 2nd hand one I understand that I need to match it to the car with respect to both the immobiliser and the remote function. The physical part of the key is not a problem, I will just swap it over. The immobiliser part is also not a problem, I have done it before using 2 other pre-programmed keys. Is it correct that to program the remote function I only need to turn the ignition on/off 4 times until the "door open-lights on" warning bongs, then press the door open button? I have already done this with the faulty fob in the forlorn hope of a miracle cure, and although it didn't fix the problem the procedure seemed valid. Has anyone successfully tried this?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On earlier cars up to around mid 99 ish apparently it is possible using the method you mention, although my destructions say to press the drivers door switch ~7 times to enter programming mode (not cycle the ignition switch) then press and hold the unlock button until the indicators flash, then repeat with the lock button, but it wont work on my 2000 car.

I've found the fool proof method with all cars is the Ford dealer computer only.

Certainly try it with your car- you have nothing to loose if it doesnt work!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim.

I do get the lights-on bong when I cycle the ignition key so I'm going to give it a go.

I'll report back to the group.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have you tried cleaning the lint out of it? I know it sounds odd, but my remote for my truck was not working well, I took it apart and found all kinds of drier lint and dust built up inside. As soon as I cleaned it, the remote worked fine.

Reply to
Trey

I've got exactly the same probelm with my 99 Focus 'T' reg Focus. I tried replacing the batteries, and this hasn't helped much either. If you do get it working again, it would be good to know what you did.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H

Same thing happened to me too...the remote got progresivelly weaker and one day it stoped. took it to a auto alarm shop. they re-programmed the remote (it was out of its operating frequency range) for free..

Ahmet

Turkey

Reply to
dragon

I have a similar intrest. I locked my remaining key and fob in the car. Is there any way to get it open w/o calling a tow truck?

Reply to
Rozlyn