Replace Side/Wing mirror

Hi,
I hit something on the way home last night and cracked the mirror of my driver side wing mirror.
The mirror is cracked but the housing is still intact, is there a way
to remove the mirror without having to replace the whole housing.
It is an electric heated mirror.
TIA
Chris aka BoobBoo
On 7 Nov 2005 16:00:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hello Chris
The mirror glass with heating elements is clipped to a frame which has the universal joint and motors to adjust it's position attached to it. The glass can be unclipped just takes a bit of care. A replacement glass will cost around 18 from a Ford dealer.
I have just had to replace one pretty easy job there are 2 wires with spade terminals are inside the shell for the heating element.
Thanks for your reply Andy,
How do you get the mirror out of the housing,
Do you take the back off the housing, or apply gentle pressure to the mirror to pull it out of the housing?
TIA
Chris aka BoobBoo
Andy Lee wrote:

On 8 Nov 2005 03:00:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Chris
I seem to recall that on both occassions the impact had already popped the glass off the mount and it was hanging off the wires. The clipping mechanism is made such that gentle pressure applied to one end should release the other end from the clip. Unfortunatly I can't remember which end the pressure should be applied.
The coloured shell is removable with care it just has several hook type clip to hold it in place with it removed you should be able to see how the mirroe glass is held in place.
According to my haynes, the mirrors slide outwards. Apparently you have to pull the outer edge of the mirror glass back and then slide it out sideways. For example for a RH mirror, pull the RH edge of the glass towards you (looking so you can see you own face in the mirror) and then slide left to right.
Haven't done mine yet so take with a pinch of salt.
Guys,
Thanks for your help, mirror is now replaced and working excellently.
Fitting the mirror is easy enough, stand at the back of the mirror (after prying off the housing, it is clipped on so comes off easy enough)
At this point the main body of the car is at my right hand side, ensure the mirror is still in the same position as when the mirror was removed.
Connect the clips on the right hand side of the mirror (as you see it), then to connect the clip on the left hand side.
Press the left handside of the mirror, then reaching through the largest hole in the rear of the housing bend the panel into the clip into the left handside (It flexs quite easily)
Hope this helps a bit,
Chris aka BoobBoo