REPLACEMENT ENGINE!!! Bye bye Focus

2000 1.6 Zetec 48k miles. Started burning oil at an alarming rate e.g. 3 litres in 400 miles. My local Ford Dealer, informed me that the cure was to replace the engine unit at a cost of 2,000 (ex VAT).
Their explanation: "This would be more cost effective than using labour to strip down the engine, investigate the causes and solve the problem".
I sought 2 further opinions from independent garages. Both agreed that the burning oil is probably the result of worn cylinder rings and valves which could be replaced. I was then shocked to find out that it is not possible to source these parts from Ford. Explanation given is that once open, the engine has to be "rebalanced" and can only be done in the factory. Hence the need to replace.
Discussions with Ford Customer Service have gone round in circles. They will not consider a discretionary payment (compensation) until it is proven that there is a manufacturing fault with the engine. My dealer agrees that this is ridiculous as it would cost an additional day's labour to investigate.
Result is that I will be trading this heap in. 2k to replace some cylinder rings! No thanks.
Shame as up til now I've loved every minute. Bye bye Ford.

There have been one or two issues of cracked cylinder heads or shattered piston rings leading to failure on the 1.6 engine- however it is very rare.
Usually attributed to using high revs on a cold engine.
Tim..