Replacement of the clutch

When I had my car at the dealers to replace my winter tires (wanted to use my old rims) I was told that my clutch nneded replacement. I drive a 1999 Focus Stationwagon, 1.6 Zetec Engine with manual gear,
and I don't really drive it that hard. I don't use it to haul heavy equipment or to pull a heavy trailer as I used to do when I owned a 1984 Ford Sierra with a 2.0 liters engine.
The mileage is close to 70.000 kms (68.000 and something).
Isn't that awfully early to have to replace the clutch?
My old Sierra had the clutch changed at aprox 110.000 kms. I would have understood it if the car had gone close to 100.000, but less that 70.000 seems awful early.
Do any of you have any experience or info to give me on this? I guess I will have to have it replaced as I know quite little about cars. I know hoe to drive them, and do the daily maintenence and that is about it.
Erik
If it isn't slipping or chattering or any other indications of a problem I wouldn't worry about it until it gets bad.It will most likely slip in high gear under heavy load as a warning when the time comes to replace it. Murray

Do you see more than one red light when driving to work? I don't and the cluch is fine at 90000 km. If you apply the hand brake tightly and try to start in a third or fourth gear, you will find out if both the clutch and the hand brake are OK. If the engine stops when you lift the foot off the clutch pedal, even when you increase to full throttle, all is well, and you can forget about your worries. But if the engine then still turns, back off the throttle quick enough and book a time for clutch replacement. If the car moves, try to apply the handbrake harder. If the car still moves, it's time to look the brakes over. When the cluch begins to slip it can go unnoticed for a short period, then comes the time when you think that, maybe it slipped, ever so little. And from that time wear accelerates, and very soon you could get stuck where you don't want to stand. /per