Replacing "faceplate" on Ford Focus radios

Hello group,
I have come into the unfortunate situation of losing the little faceplate (the four buttons on the front) of the radio in my Ford Focus.
Of course, the radio is dead in the water without it, and I am forced to drive around without anything to listen to.
Ford wants $150 to replace this thing. I'm wondering if I can get a better deal somehow.
My question is:
Are any of the radios from 2002 back compatible with each other... at least as far as this faceplate is concerned? They all look identical but I can't be sure.
If I could buy an older radio for $30 and just use the faceplate, that would be cool.
Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
Andrew

Bad news I'm afraid as the faceplate only works with the radio it came with. As far as I can remember that is...you might be able to get one from a junkyard or from someone that's changing out their unit. Why not just upgrade your radio while you have a chance? Linda

with.
junkyard
radio
I disargree there is some if not total compatability. My next door neighbours had 5000 and 6000 radios and they were interchangeable. My 5000 is interchangeable with my son's 3000. Try to borrowing one from the model you intend to buy you may be pleasantly suprized when it works :-)

I thought they had a security feature so they wouldn't work - trying to discourage stealing radios ??? Linda

I had that impression when I bought the car but I thought I read here that they're all interchangeable.
Just went back through the archives and found this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm:6580C5.B1FFC52E%40chello.nl
Just did an interesting find: when I switch the "front" (*) from my own Focus' CD player with the one that is in my temporary Focus' cassette deck, it still plays.
eBay has Focus CD/Tape units cheap! Just get one off of eBay.
Trooper wrote in alt.autos.ford.focus:

Don't forget to get the security code that you have to enter to get it working. Ask before you bid/buy.
--
Alan
The factory sound system is sub-par, at best; take this opportunity and purchase a better unit.

I'm actually quite happy with the 6000 CD unit which I shoehorned into my MX-5. It sounds much better than the Sony I took out. It also fulfils my long-standing desire to have a radio which (1) has a nice, analog volume control know (2) has big buttons which can be punched quickly in the dead of winter and (3) doesn't produce a "Tokyo at night" light show when I turn it on.
As previously mentioned, Ford head units are a dime a dozen on E-bay, cheaper than the lowest Sony or Pioneer, which *will* sound like garbage, and the CD units or in dash changers are simply plug and play into any previous installation (4000, 5000). If you're happy with the Ford sound, go ahead. Of course, the above comment is certainly true if you are really into audio, in which case you're looking for more than a cheap fix. I myself think car audio is always a compromise, so I save my audiophile tendencies for home, where I can control the acoustic environment.
Stephen
EBAY!!!

Yes! as far as I know they are all the same - my 5000 radio fits my son's 3000 and a neighboor has swapped a 5000 and a 6000 faceplate. The security ellement comes from when the power has been disconnected and the code has to be entered