Rust by the drivers' side wing mirror

Hi all I am new to this site, thought I would join as I would appreciate some advice as I have a problem with my Focus. I own a Y reg 1.6 Zetec and have had it from new. It is my pride and joy and I still, after nearly 6 years, love driving it. However I have noticed that I have rust appearing under the driver's side mirror which I was suprised about.

I was told when I bought the car that I had a 12 year anti corrosion warranty so I took it to Ford to get it repaired. Well after months of fighting with them, they have closed the case saying that it is not their problem as apparently they say I have an anti fermenting warranty on it which doesn't cover the rust.

Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem with a focus? According to ford it is not a common problem, but I have heard some stories (even from ford employees) of this happneing to other people.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta

Chris

Reply to
Chrissyavo

Chris,

I also have a Y Focus and have the same problem on the near side mirror. On Honest John's website he states under 'What to Watch Out For' - "Paint can crack and corrosion can start around door mirror housings." So I don't believe we are a rare breed.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

This is a common problem on the Focus. As I understand it, Ford's warranty is for paintwork and penetrating rust that originates from the inside, but rust caused by chips, dents or even badly fitting components (such as windows, door mirrors, other panels) isn't covered.

Check out the forums at the Ford Focus Owners Club

- this issue is covered quite a bit. People on there have reported various levels of support from Ford on this ranging from experiences like yours to Ford fixing it without batting an eyelid!

Reply to
Richard Parkin

In message , Richard Parkin writes

And be aware that FFOC now charge (£20 I think) to access the forums.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Hmm this is interesting and also annoying that Ford can feel that they can fob us off like this.

Have you followed up you rust with Ford at all?

Reply to
Chrissyavo