Rust formation on rear trim on Ghia

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a known problem with Ghia Focus. The nice silver trim on the boot , i noticed what looked like rust on it today following washing the car. On closer inspection I noted a significant bubble to the body work just above this trim, which obviously is some for of corrosion. Is this I known problem and does anyone have any idea if this is covered by warranty. Had the paintwork inspected only 4 months ago following service and garage said was all ok.

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Reply to
Nick Harrison

Yes it is a known problem (I think there is a TSB for it). I don't think it is covered by warranty, but people have had success in claiming some / all of the money for it (some dealers are better than others, age and general condition of the car also makes a difference).

For further info:

in particular

Ghia Models - Where the chrome strip meets the boot, water gets trapped and the boot starts to rust, also check ford badge. Fix - Dealers know about this and paint the boot and fit a 3mm gasket to the rear of the handle

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
Graeme

Hi all

Thanks for the comments. My Focus is the 1.8TDCI Ghia 53 plate - it appears then that th eproblem is still out there and Ford have notr solved it. Anyway took it back to the garage and they have agreed to fix it - so I will see what kind of job they do.

Regards

Reply to
Nick Harrison

Hi

I am now on my 3rd 4D Focus Ghia. All three have exhibited the same issue with the silver trim. But, worst with my 99 Focus, and (sofar) least with my present 04 model. On the first I got greenish corrosion stuff around the trim. Anyway - on Focus 1+2, Ford dealer did decent repair jobs. What does irritate me, is that this is a very old problem that still has not been solved. In this respect I am not very impressed with Ford. Otherwise, I do love the car.

Kind Regards, Erik M R

Reply to
Erik Rasmussen