Rust formation on rear trim on Ghia

Hi all
Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a known problem with Ghia Focus. The nice silver trim on the boot , i noticed what looked like rust on it
today following washing the car. On closer inspection I noted a significant bubble to the body work just above this trim, which obviously is some for of corrosion. Is this I known problem and does anyone have any idea if this is covered by warranty. Had the paintwork inspected only 4 months ago following service and garage said was all ok.
Many thanks in advance
Nick
Nick Harrison wrote:

it is covered by warranty, but people have had success in claiming some / all of the money for it (some dealers are better than others, age and general condition of the car also makes a difference).
For further info:
http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/search.php?mode=results&sid f6b6e0e505c836c7963252c3fabddb
in particular
Ghia Models - Where the chrome strip meets the boot, water gets trapped and the boot starts to rust, also check ford badge. Fix - Dealers know about this and paint the boot and fit a 3mm gasket to the rear of the handle
--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

As Chris said it's a known problem. Same thing occurred on my previous "T" reg Focus (2.0l Ghia). There's also another area to look for. If you follow the lower contours of the rear window to the point of the "v" shape it also rusts there. My local Ford dealer agreed to fix the faults under the body warranty. After getting the car back I took the chrome trim off and inspected it closely and found some high spots which could have punctured the paint when the trim was bolted to the hatch. These I filed flat and smooth. Easy to do as the trim is plastic. Replaced the trim and never had the problem reoccur. My latest Focus, also 2.0l Ghia, "02" reg, seems to have a much better fitting trim so I doubt the more recent models will suffer the same problem. What age is your's?
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:45:18 +0100, "Nick Harrison"

Hi all
Thanks for the comments. My Focus is the 1.8TDCI Ghia 53 plate - it appears then that th eproblem is still out there and Ford have notr solved it. Anyway took it back to the garage and they have agreed to fix it - so I will see what kind of job they do.
Regards

Hi
I am now on my 3rd 4D Focus Ghia. All three have exhibited the same issue with the silver trim. But, worst with my 99 Focus, and (sofar) least with my present 04 model. On the first I got greenish corrosion stuff around the trim. Anyway - on Focus 1+2, Ford dealer did decent repair jobs. What does irritate me, is that this is a very old problem that still has not been solved. In this respect I am not very impressed with Ford. Otherwise, I do love the car.
Kind Regards, Erik M R
snipped-for-privacy@harri6760.freeserve.co.uk says...