Rust under seam putty on doors

Is this a new one? The seam putty along the inside of the door edge seams does not appear to seal and stick to the door as expected. Instead I suspect the putty is hygroscopic and draws moisture into the seams
instead of protecting them on my german built 2000 Focus Estate. On one door the putty is coming loose along the full length of the door bottom, with red rust under. The rear lid has rust bubbles coming up along the entire bottom edge, on the inside. I see no rust on the outside of the car. What do you think? /per
Add pictures here
✖
<Snipety snip>

Hej Per!
This is a known problem on earlier Focus models. A couple of months ago I discovered the same thing on all my doors: rust coming through around and above the sealant. It took it to Kindwalls in Stockholm where I had bought the car and was prepared for an argument. But before I'd even had a chance to complain and say "ska det vara så här!" the guy said " no problem sir this is a manufacturing fault and Ford will pay for the repairs".
It turns out that tens of thousands of doors and boot lids were sealed with the wrong sealant resulting in trapped moisture and rust. Anyway true to their word they've fixed all the doors and done an excellent job of repainting them. My 5 year old Focus now looks like new again and all those annoying door opening scratches from the Ikea/Ica car park are gone!
So get down to your Ford dealer and get it fixed on them.
Andy
--
Andy Cunningham
Stockholm, Sweden
<snippety snippety snip>

Same here. My UK 2000 model Focus saloon had an 'overbaked' seal on the passenger door. I was prepared for a hard time, but after a week or so, was told that the whole door would be replaced, as it was a known fault. I just hope the other doors don't go the same way. Though tha anti-corrosion warranty should cover that, and that lasts six years as far as I know.
JW
Add pictures here
✖

Its 12 years on the Focus.
--
Paul Giverin

✖
is this a problem on 2001 hatchbacks in the US? I'll take a look at the mentioned areas and see what I find. TIA Mark S.

seams
door
red
bottom
Add pictures here
✖
Focus is in for tailgate respray today (Monday). Mid afternoon I get call from the dealer telling me that it has rusted from the inside along the bottom seam, as well as by the coachwork, so they will be replacing the whole thing.
Seems to be the same issue

seams
door
red