Shell Optimax 98 RON in UK

Hi, Have just refilled my 00 1.8 Zetec Focus with Shell Optimax fuel. Have just looked on the net and found that it is 98 Ron when the specified fuel for the Focus engine is 95 Ron. What have I done? There were 2 pumps with green handles, both marked unleaded so I thought I would get the more expensive (thinking it might be better?) - I looked for a Ron marking but as there was none on either, I assumed they were both 95 and that one had more/better additives. Am I likely to cause any damage to my engine? Will it do any good? Will it do any harm?

Help please

"Worried" of North Riding of Yorkshire

Reply to
Justin Case

No harm at all, your just using a petrol of higher octane than is specified. Optimax claims better performance and better mpg. I tried half a tank in my

1.8 Zetec, and didnt notice any difference. I possibly should have tried a tankful after that though...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Suction engines that are made for 95 Ron will not gain anything from higher octane fuel, unless the engine is pinging, which it should not if all is well. Ron is just a number that tells how prone the fuel is to self ingnite from compression, not how much energy it contains. A turbocharged engine however with a ping sensor will give far more power from higher octane fuel, because the boost regulator will keep up the boost pressure longer when pinging is absent. No harm and no gain for your Focus. /per

"Justin Case" skrev i meddelandet news:Za47b.707$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
per