Shifting Automatics?

Good Morning,
I've seen power curves regarding most of our engines the 2.0L 16V DOHC Zetec. It delivers 130hp at 5300 rpm's and 135 ft/pds of torque at 4500 rpm's.
However, in an automatic you will NEVER reach the 4500 rpm mark let alone the 5300.
Most driving ranges are from 1500 - 2500 rpm's (about 30-60 horsies) not very impressive.
Since I have an automatic (so my wife could drive it too) I routinely start with O/D switched off, when I reach my cruising speed and if I expect to be at this speed for a while I turn the O/D on.
Sometimes (not always) I start in D1 / O/D off, I accelerate up to 4000, shift to D2, accell again to 3500 then when I have reached my cruising speed I shift to D, and if I expect to be at this speed for a while I turn the O/D on.
This really helps out the Stop Light acceleration problem, but is it bad to shift Automatic Transmissions? -- Dan 03 ZX5 21.3k "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana
Dan wrote:

I saw 6000 rpm on my 2.0L Zetec automatic just now, in 'D' with overdrive enabled. I did have my foot *all* the way to the floor, mind you. That was 1st and 2nd gear obviously, I doubt the car could go fast enough to hit 5300 in 3rd.
I will agree the automatic's ratios aren't suited to getting the most out of that engine. The 8-valve SOHC engine would be a much better match for it.

Do you know about the kickdown and how to operate it?!
Unless your car has a fault and a broken kickdown switch you should be able to see ~6000rpm whenever you want.
Tim..

Touchdown in Football? lol No. I do not know what a kickdown is. My guess is that you stomp on the gas pedal, and force the Auto Trans to drop down a gear or two. Close?
Dan

Spot on. Pressing the pedal to the mechanical stop should activate the kickdown and the box drop 1 or 2 ratios to allow maximum acceloration.
Obviously if there is a carpet in the way or the switch has broke it won't work!! Tim..