Slight hestation when cold

Page 1 of 2
I've noticed a hesitation when my 2001 Focus 2lt Zetec petrol engine is run from cold (particular driving to work on early mornings) although the hesitation is very slight and it disappears
when the engine has warmed up to normal operating temperature. I've thought nothing of it really, however the wife's 2001 Zetec Focus does not hesitate when cold so I presume it is not normal.
Can anybody please shed any light on what might be causing the slight hesitation?
Stephen.
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:27:17 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

When did it last have plugs and leads?
It's important on these engines that the plugs and leads are replaced every 40k miles with genuine Ford ones. The plug gaps need to be set to 1mm. (Not 1.3mm!)
I would suggest replacing them if their history is unknown, or they have exceeded this mileage; coil pack failure if the likely result otherwise.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Hi Chris, I replaced the plugs a few months ago (it made no difference) but not the leads, I'll need to check the plug gap too as I can't remember what they are set to.
I'll start with checking the plug gaps tomorrow.
Regards,
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:19:49 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

I'd start by getting a set of leads, but be prepared for a shock at the price...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

As Chris says, grab some new leads. It won't hurt if it's not the cause of the problem, but it most likely is.
[snip]

Changed the leads today, just hope its not the coilpack, roughly how much is one of those anyway?
Stephen
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

Sorry for my late reply, I have checked the spark plug gap which was already set to 1.mm when I replaced them a couple of months ago. The old spark plugs were "NGK R TR5A 10" and the new plugs "Champion RES 9PYP4", not sure if that makes any significant difference but the Wife's Focus uses the same type of "NGK R TR5A 10" spark plugs.
Today I fitted new ignition leads, but could not tell if it was hesitating because of the warm engine. I'll know better tommorrow when driving to work at 6am, which is usualy cold enough to show/hear/feel the hesitation.
Yes the leads were expensive at 57 ;-(
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:14:38 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

Next time they are due for replacement, it would be better to use Motorcraft ones from a dealer.
These folk:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com /
offer a discount on genuine parts; if you were just buying one item the saving might be swallowed up by delivery costs, but if you need several things you can save a little.
No connection with them BTW, other than having used them a couple of time with full satisfaction.
You complete an online email form, and get a quotation emailed back to you. Paypal is accepted, and delivery has been a couple of days.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

[snip]
The new ignition leads are genuine Ford Motorcraft items purchased from my local Ford dealer (only eight miles away).
I already have the fordpartsuk website bookmarked but could not find ignition leads listed on it, however they are very useful particularly for pricing items which include photos as a bonus. Their prices appear to work out exactly the same as my local Ford dealer so they must be all part of the same group.
I'll let you know tomorrow evening on how the Focus performs on the way to work in the morning.
Regards,
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

I wouldn't use Champion plugs in my lawnmower. The Zetec engine prefers either NGK or Motorcraft.
As for the question in your other post, a coilpack will cost around 60.
Does your hesitation happen at about 1800-2000k revs? I had a 2.0 Mondeo for a while (son drives it now) with the same engine as in the Focus and it always did that when cold. All ignition components were sound. Reading the Mondeo forums, it was a common problem and possibly EGR related. It wasn't severe and didn't bother me so I lived with it.
--
Paul Giverin

My photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee

Expensive things aren't they?

I only noticed a very very slight hesitation on the way to work this morning and it is within the 1800-2000k range, again it does disappear completely when the engine is warm, usually after only a couple of minutes.
Tonight I have replaced the Champion plugs with GKN and will see how the car performs in the morning. The hesitation is not severe like kangarooing but it is annoying all the same.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

I can confirmed that "issue" with Mondeo 2.0 because I had one also before. Didn't bother me much as it went away as soon the engine getting warm.
Sorry for my bad English... Iam from Norway.
Glenn
"People dont read anymore, they watch T.V. The news is often their only source of non-fiction. We must remember that the news itself is only entertainment"
Hello all
I have a ford focus Estate 1.4 2001 and I have some problems, if anybody can help me I appreciate
1- The battery is of a special type (why), and is only 43A, anybody now if is the correct capacity and what apen's if I replace by a new normal battery (PB)
2- Several times the instant speed goes to 0 and sometimes after a few seconds he starts again, but many times the number disappear and is replaced by (--------)
3- Many times when the weather is cold the doors does not open electrically, only open with the key.
4- Sometimes when I try to start engine it goes completely down, looks like the power of battery goes to 0 but the battery after 2 or 3 times start engine normally.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:05:48 +0100, vitor-ferreira wrote:

Your Focus uses a lead/calcium battery, as do many cars of the last 10 years or so. These batteries have improved charging capability and longer life than the older lead ones. They charge at a slightly higher voltage; if you fit a lead-only battery it will be overcharged, and the battery might be damaged. There is also a small chance that the casing would split, causing an acid leak, although I suspect the risk of that is small.
Ford use something called Smart Charge. The engine ECU controls the charging, not the alternator. This gives a longer battery life, and lessens the chances of the battery going flat in extreme conditions. It won't work properly without the correct battery.
A 43A/Hr is standard for the 1.4. There would be no problem fitting a higher capacity battery, right up to the one fitted to the diesels, as long as it physically fits the battery tray. Unless you have unusual usage of your car, such as lots of cold starts, there would be no advantage in doing this.

This is a *very* common fault, and is caused by failure of the VSS. (Vehicle Speed Sensor). If you use Google Groups search facility, you will find lots of information on the methods of replacing the sensor. It will cause no harm if you leave it. Sometimes if you come to a stop with the fault happening the engine might stall, but it will start again OK.

Change the fob battery. It's a CR2032. Don't buy one from a dealer! If it's any help, it's the same type as used on almost all computer main boards.

Start by removing the battery connections, cleaning them, then protect them with battery grease. If that doesn't do the trick, follow the main earth connection from the battery to the engine, and clean that connection.
Your fault could also be a sign that the battery needs replacing, especially if it's the original.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

Are you sure you didn't mean Silver Calcium battery?
I saw in the owner's manual and say silver / calcium, possibly is wrong translation. I don't know. and have the Symbol (CA).

snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote:

Fair enough. I know on the top of the battery in my Focus it says Silver Calcium.
Sorry, I do not explained well, the doors do not open electrically, just open with the key, if I open the left door with the key, sometimes with cold weather the other doors do not open electrically.

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

http://www.focushacks.com/?modidf&ht=Zetec%20Stumble%20Fix

Not sure if this hack will cure my engine running problem. Thinking of swapping some components from the wife's focus to mine as this should eliminate the actual item causing the fault (and save a fortune too) until I can positively identify the part that's causing the engine running fault.
Stephen.