Smelt a strong smoke when I was backing the car out the snow

There was a storm in the city I live. This morning, I was trying to get the car out from snow,. I put the gearshift in R and stepped on gas paddle, the
car couldn't move but I smelt something, like rubber was burning, I think I even saw smoke in the car. I don't know why but I was scared. I appreciate it if somebody can tell me why. Thanks.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:32:56 -0500, "michelle2005"

I could have been your clutch, was it freezing last night? Parking brakes are notorious for pads/shoes freeing to the rotor/drum. You might have to not use the parking brake at night, and leave the car in park/gear.
BTW, the smoke could have been your normal exhaust if you were gassing it.
imho,
tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com
<...I put the gearshift in R and stepped on gas paddle, the

As strange as it may seem, you can burn the tires spinning on snow or ice. I suspect that's what you smelled. You must clear the snow away from all four wheels before trying to move the car, or get a tow.