smoky 1.8tddi

Hello, I have just bought a 1.8tddi (my first diesel) which seems to me to be a bit smoky, it's not severe, you can just see it in daylight but you can see it a lot more at night with others headlights behind, cruising along its fine - no smoke, but when you accelerate (and you don't have to floor it) you can see the grey smoke. I've just come in from testing it with the EGR valve vacuum pipe disconnected. It did seem different but not in a good way, basically it turned into a transit van, the engine seemed a lot nosier but the smoke was still the same. I've taken the turbo side intercooler pipe off to see if it was more oily than it should be but it seems fine. I'm not sure what to do next, any suggestions?

Rob

Reply to
rob

Try injector cleaner then a good Italian tune. It worked for me!

Italian tune = a good, high RPM scream along a fast road or motorway. Don't be afraid to floor the throttle and keep the revs quite high. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

Reply to
Morse

allready put "redex" in, i'll try the "itallian tune" thanks morse

Reply to
rob

ISTR the idea behind it is that Diesels are often driven conservatively due to their torquey performance, which isn't always a good thing. It results in the injectors becoming contaminated with gunge which prevents them closing properly, so thy dribble fuel into the cylinders when they shouldn't, causing smoking. A good thrash cleans them out, and they say a conservatively driven Diesel should be given a bit of a thrash every once in a while to prevent this happening.

I'm not sure if the TDDI has a rev limiter, but by thrash I don't mean holding it into the red, just give it a good, spirited run and keep the revs quite high for a while.

Another thing to check is that the air filter is clean.

Reply to
Morse