Speaking of Timing Belts

Speaking of timing (cam) belts and chains, does anyone know which, if any, of the Focus engines are interference and which are non-interference?
In an interference engine, the pistons and valves share some of the same
space, hopefully kept apart by the timing belt. In a non-interference engine, the pistons and valves do not share space, so a timing belt or chain failure can't result in a destroyed engine. Thus timely belt replacement is more crucial with an interference engine.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm
-- Don
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:58:27 -0500, Don McC wrote:

AFAIK, all UK/European Focus engines are interference.
I don't think there are many modern cars of any make that are still non- interference. Piston /valve tolerances have to be tight to meet performance requirements, especially with a four valve per cylinder configuration.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id598&go=Interference but I don't entirely trust it. It shows the 1985 Volvo 760T I once had as interference, but it was definitely non-interference - as were all the Volvo "red block" engine in all variants in all markets.
As Chris says, most modern engines are interference because it is considered a small price for performance and efficiency.
You put it very well. Timing belt replacement is important even in non-interference engines if only because the driver is trying to get somewhere when the belt fails, but is *crucial* in interference engines.
Mike