Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

No. Completely different beast. You use the accelerator as normal but you set the maximum speed and no matter how hard you plant the accelerator, it won't exceed it.

Reply to
Conor

Some of em (apparently) will limit the speed under 'normal' throttle conditions, but you can override it by mashing the throttle.

Reply to
??? Abo ???

Yeah, I can see how an auto might well behave differently. Not used autos a lot.

I have to be honest, I can't see a lot of point in a speed limiter except for the slightly handy use for being able to vary motorway speeds up and down for circumstances, but not exceed a true 90 mph or 94 on the clock or whatever.

Sorry, I mean "exactly 70 mph" don't I? ;)

Either way, cruise seems to do that fairly well, set it to the desired speed and simply disengage, resume, or overspeed and return to, as you feel the need.

I was doing something that was exactly ideal for a speed limiter, that is, zipping about town where the speed limit was nearly always 30 and there were cameras dotted about, it would have been ideal for that and I did experiment with it, but found it just got me hassled by white vans (actually, not white vans but you know what I mean). It didn't actually help for the cameras because I found I had to slow down anyway because most people go through them at about

23 mph, rather than 30, so the only time it might have made a difference, it was irrelevant.

The thing that took the most getting used to, the bizarre handbrake in the dash.

First off, no handbook on the hire car, so figuring out how to set and release it was fun. Then, trying to release it on a hill was major league awkward, meant rolling backwards, or stalling the engine and *then* rolling backwards.

You need three feet, one to engage the clutch, one to hold the car on the brake having released the handbrake which decides when it does it, and one on the throttle. Auto, sure, it would have been a picnic, footbrake, throttle, release handbrake and then footbrake.

Eventually got the hang of it, riding the clutch and it would release the handbrake automatically, but you had to be smooth with the clutch or stall, try and roar off from the lights and you stall, etc. Accelerate like a granny until in gear, and just about ok. Nasty business. I think this is one of those features that some like, and some hate.

Reply to
Questions

Does it affect the speedo if you go downhill?

Reply to
Tony Sutton

Aye, but not the thought behind selecting speed of course.

Reply to
DervMan

If you need to exceed the speed limit you should not be overtaking.

Reply to
DervMan

Stacks, but not all.

We don't have that option on our aftermarket cruise control. I don't think it was an option but I wouldn't have ticked it anyway, because you are able to over-ride them at full throttle. I reasoned that if I was using full acceleration I would be well aware of the speed, if I wanted to avoid exceeding a certain speed I'd be using cruise. The final option, say preventing one from exceeding 30 or 40 in urban areas, I figured would be too "fussy" to use.

As it happens I have presets, much easier. One is set for one set of road works, one for the next and the final preset is my general cruising one.

Reply to
DervMan

when the brake pedal sunk from under my foot going downhill I found it hard to believe too..lol

Reply to
Dark1

The internet is great, all one needs to do is ask a simple question and they will get reply after reply with, misleading, convoluted and outright wrong information from all over the world. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If I set the retarder, no. But otherwise, it doesn't apply the brakes.

Reply to
Conor

Ho-hum.

Reply to
Conor

Me does not agree, if you have a slow vehicle ahead and a straight which permits you getting past, merely speeding temporarily should not be "dangerous", it should be clearly safer for everyone that speeding to reduce the passing time happen.

I'd hate to be overtaking someone doing 40 and, by slowing down to be "safe" at only 60, I had to also smack headlong into someone coming the other way at 60, where when I went past at 90 I was able to pull back half a kilometer short of the oncoming car.

Reply to
Questions

Well that just means that at 40 mph you have to put your foot down a little bit harder to let the computer know you want to go faster than the setting of the speed limiter.

Reply to
James
[...]

BMW system is like that - buzzes then limits but is cancelled by kickdown.

I know someone who swears by it but it just bugged me.

Alistair J Murray

I agree entirely, but to follow the Law you would only overtake if it is safe to do so and without breaking any laws...

Reply to
DervMan

Sure, but in the real world, you have the right to break a law if the consequences of obeying it are worse than the consequences of breaking it.

I.e. the police will only have you for this if you are doing it in a stupid way. Camera, yeah, they'll have you. And it doesn't hold on the motorway where you can sit there for ages overtaking and so forth. Naturally, cases of this sort tend to count if they get to court.

Reply to
Questions

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What thought? You don't need to think. It's on a stick at the side of the road.

Reply to
Adrian

( snipped-for-privacy@forgotten.what.this.was.now) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What's the "consequences" of not overtaking?

Reply to
Adrian

Tony Wesley ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no, that's not a "car". That's a house.

Reply to
Adrian

You can override it on all cars, when you want a burst of speed, in most cases full throttle and /or pedal in the kickdown position will do it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)