Speed pulse take-off for display unit

I want to install a speed display unit in a 2002 UK Ford Focus 1.6. Installation instructions for the unit (Defi VSD BASIS) suggest tapping into the Speed Pulse (SP) wire going to the ECU but I don't want to do
that as the ECU connections are hidden behind a tamper-proof shield that I don't want to er... tamper with!
Can anyone suggest another way to tap into the Speed Pulse signal inside the car (I don't want to run wires through to the engine compartment). Perhaps the Speed Pulse signal is fed to the radio?
Thanks for any insight you can give.
the speed sigal from the sensor goes to the PCM/ECU from there its on the CAN BUS system(where the modules 'talk' to other modules)you carnt tap into it at this point.
ford_technical_ wrote:

Sounds promising, but can you give more information please? I have the Haynes manual but can't relate your suggestion to the information I find there. Can you give more description or refer me to other sources?
John Barnes wrote:

Searching on the web I have located some information on the CAN-BUS and interfaces to it, but looks like this capability was only provided on the 2005 and later Ford Focus?

A 2002 Focus doesnt have CANBUS.
The signal at the radio (for the speed sensitive volume) is the same as which that feeds the speedo, and is the usual take-off point for GPS / Satnav's etc.
Tim..
Tim.. wrote:

Thanks for that info, Tim.
Looking at the Haynes manual information on connections to the radio, I have come up with this stab at the connections I need to make:
For the speed pulse signal: White with Green tracer going to pin 445/6 For ground: Black with Yellow tracer going to pin 443/2 For ignition-switched power: Yellow with Green tracer going to pin 443/3
I'd be grateful if you could confirm these connections are correct.
Thanks, John
This post is just to report back and complete the story.
I connected via the radio wiring, essentially as suggested in my last post, though I used pin 6 on the power plug for ground. The display works fine and is easy to read. I'm very pleased with it.
Thanks to other posters, John