Speedo instruments Rev counter low power - usual problem!!!!

Hi All. When I first bought my focus 1.6lx manual 2 years ago I had all the usual problems - dials go to zero then full scale, warning ligths flash on and off - central locking clicks, relays click, sometimes the
cd turns off and the power drops. Sometimes it cuts out completely and the trip counter and clock reset to zero and the cd player needs its security code again.
I bought a new battery for the car and all was well for about 22 months. Now I have the problem, intermittently again. Sometimes I can do 1000 miles without it happening, sometimes it is every other day or every journey.
Today I changed the speed sensor - 25.00 and lots of grief changing it (heres a tip - if anyone has trouble getting the sensor out after removing the retaining pin, take out the oiul filler cap on the transmission and the sensor comes out easier (eventually)).
Anyway - speed sensor changed and I still have the same problem. I went to a motor factors and they tested the Varta battery which is fine and their machine seemed to say the alternator was finer too (my dads friend had the same problem cured with a new alternator.
Any ideas anyone - I am increasingly frustrated with what is, ina ll other respects, a fantastic car.
Paul
[...]
Has your car had the alternator wiring recall??
If so, then have you checked the power feed cable hold down nut in the engine bay fuse box, and the securing bolt of the negetive battery lead to the body work?
There was a thread with exactly this problem in the group last week which i replied to...
Tim..
Well - the car spent today happily clicking away - then 35 miles of perfect driving - then madness again. What wa sthe alternator recall? One thing I did notice yesterday was that a lot of the relays were clicking, and lights flashing, with the ignition on and at standstill with the engine off - does that rule out the alternator?
I'll try and look at last weeks post.
I have checked the negative lead to bodywork and thats ok - I havent checked the fuse box power feed cable - I'll do that in a minute.
Thanks for help so far - will keep you posted.
Paul
Tim.. wrote:

800 miles after replacing the speedo sensor I still have this problem - it was ok for aboyt 500 miles then had a quick bout of cd player turning off and on and dials going mad with central locking clicking and the headlamp on bing - I am going mad with this now.
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

800 miles after replacing the speedo sensor I still have this problem - it was ok for aboyt 500 miles then had a quick bout of cd player turning off and on and dials going mad with central locking clicking and the headlamp on bing - I am going mad with this now.
The speedo sensor will not cause the dash to keep 'cold booting'.
You have not taken on board any of the other suggestions (nor mine) posted in the thread, so not surprised its still doing it!
Tim..
Hi Tim,
I did check the body earth and also the fuse box earth - both of which were ok - I also cleaned the battery terminals. Which parts of the thread are you reffering to? - I thought I had checked everything.
Paul
Tim.. wrote:

Can anyone help me with this?