Speedo & rev counter etc go to max when engine 1st turned on

When I turn the engine on, the needles on the 4 displays (speedo, rev counter, fuel & water?) all go to their max for about 2 seconds, before returning back down to zero (or should I say their correct position for
fuel, rev counter and water).
This started in the winter and I thought it was because it was cold outside, but it still happens. It doesnt happen every time I start the car - I would say it happens maybe once in every 3 times I turn the engine on.
Has anyone had anything similar before, or do you know what this signifies?
Cheers
darren100 wrote:

Yes, the dashboard electronics are rebooting due to low voltage when cranking. It will get worse in that it will eventually happen every time you start; sometimes the trip display will reset to zero. It won't cause any other operational problems with the car. Mine was doing it for 18 months or so before I got around to fixing it!
Things to check are the main power feed to the fuse block under the bonnet, the main power feed to the fuse block behind the glove box, and all earth connections in the vicinity of the dashboard.
If they are OK, how old is the battery? If you are able, use a digital multimeter to check the voltage across the battery terminals first thing after the car has stood overnight. Do this before starting it. If it's lower than 12.5 volts, replace the battery. This was actually the cause when I had the same fault.
If you don't feel able to carry out the preceding checks, and the battery is more than a couple of years old you may just want to change it first anyway.
Let the group know how you get on.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

It's telling you to replace the car battery.
--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.fordst170.co.uk