Speedometer ford focus 2001 1.4 zetec se

speedometer of my ford focus 1,4 ZETEC SE 2001 gasoline sometimes stops working, goes for zero during some seconds,and odometer stops working to,
later return to work again, someone knows what it can be ?
Thank you all.
Vitor Ferreira
snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote:

Do a Google Groups search on this NG for VSS, or Vehicle speed sensor.
It's a very common fault, so has been discussed many times.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

fordtech via CarKB.com wrote:

My (UK) Focus is 7 years old. It has covered 82,000 totally reliable miles. Apart from service and consumable items, the total replacement parts cost in this time has been 44UKP.
I'm confidently expecting another 5 years out of it.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

fordtech via CarKB.com wrote:

Same problem on my 4.5 year old 1.6 recently. Speed sensor changed, problem gone - 85 euros supplied and fitted here in France. 1st thing ever replaced (except consumables like oil, tyres, etc).
D.
Anybody know where is located that Speed sensor? anybody have a picture? I cant find the sensor in the gear box..
Thank you all.
Vitor Ferreira

snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote:

It is easiest to find from under the vehicle.
Raise the front and support it safely. From underneath, look up between the transmission and the bulkhead. The VSS is located on top of the transmission.
Here is some information posted last year about changing it:
Using a pair of pliers, bend the flat clip on the securing pin out of the way. (It does not go in to the hole; it just presses on the casting.) It will probably detach itself when you do this. Grip the pin with a pair of side-cutters close to the transmission housing and then use the side-cutters to lever the pin out. You will have to keep repositioning the side-cutters along the length of the pin as it gradually comes out.
Others have suggested clamping mole grips on the pin, then tapping the mole grips with a hammer. I tried that, but it didn't work for me. YMMV.
Once the pin is removed the VSS is still a bit hard to get out. It has two O-rings on it that make it a tight fit in the housing. DO NOT be tempted to try to knock it upwards with a drift and hammer. This might result in the sensor breaking, leaving half of it in the hole!
In the limited space available wrap a piece of rag around the sensor and rock it GENTLY from side to side and twist it as you pull upwards. Take your time and it will eventually come out.
I agonised for ages before tackling mine, but once I took the plunge I did it in less than 20 minutes.
Note that you *will* destroy the pin holding the VSS in when you remove it, so be sure to buy a new one when you buy the sensor!
HTH.
Post back if you need further information.
Chris.
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

I was told by an independent mechanic that Ford could not supply a replacement pin to hold the VSS in place, so I still have a faulty sensor.
Does the pin have a part number or something?
Dave T wrote:

Perhaps you would do better to ask a Ford parts counter?
I can confirm that the VSS securing pin is a separate part freely available. The part number on my invoice is F1070494 at a price of 59 pence + VAT.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.