Squeeking brakes

My Ford Focus 1.4 cc is a year 2000 registered car and runs well, but latlely I've noticed a 'squeeking' sound when I use the brakes. I put it into the garage and although they found nothing wrong, they still charged me
60 (UK), but the noise has returned. I am very anxious as I don't know a lot about cars, I just drive them. Should I be worried about this noise, or is it something I should expect to hear from my Focus? Anyone know what it might be? Any advice appreciated. Tricia.

Paul Giverin

writes

No, only the 'main' brake, and it seems okay after the first mile or two, but those first couple of miles each day are also the noisiest. The noise seems to be coming from the front 'wheels' rather than the back. Tricia.

I had such a problem but only with front breakes, the same year and engine. Mechanic checked it out, oil it a bit and after a couple days it stopped.

failed?
You don't use oil anywhere near brakes.
--
Paul Giverin

writes

I have a very honest mechanic look after my Daughters car. He said the breaks squeal because of the type of metallic pads Ford uses. He said forget it till you need brakes then I will install ones that don't squeal....I live in Canada. Geoff.
writes

Don't worry, I won't be oiling the brakes! Tricia.

I suspect he meant lubricate the calliper sliding surfaces in the hub (not sure if you use the same terminology, but it's simply the place that allows calliper mechanisms to move in and out against the rotor). This is standard and necessary brake maintenance, otherwise you run the risk that one or both pads may not freely press against the rotor, which, incidentally, can cause squeal. If done properly, you get no lubricant on the actual braking surfaces.

maintenance. The pins are not lubricated from new, the reason being is that grease attracts dirt which causes wear. I always clean the pins and refit them dry although I appreciate that some people prefer to use a high temp grease on them.
In any case, we are talking about grease and not oil.
--
Paul Giverin

That may be the case in your climate, but in places with winter conditions and salt on the roads the sliding surfaces can rust up without lubrication. We use special brake lubricants, which is also used on alloy wheels where they contact the hubs, and on wheel nut threads. These lubricants stay slippery enough that any dirt is cleared away with normal movement.
Cheers

and on wheel nut threads but the sliding pins are chrome plated and don't tend to rust.
--
Paul Giverin

Oh I see what our communication problem is now...it's not those guide pins I'm talking about (they're usually covered by a rubber boot) but rather the surfaces of the hub on which the calliper bodies move back and forth. They are not chromed (hubs never are in my experience) and can certainly rust. Exactly that happened on my Chrysler van last winter. I seldom drive it in winter, and by last spring the brakes had seized up. I had to take them apart, wire-brush the rust off and lubricate, so it's all fresh in my mind. I got a can of spray lubricant from the Chrysler dealer which works for all these purposes, as well as door locks, door hinges etc. I use it on my Focus too. Good stuff.
Cheers.

Yep, that's where the mix up is.
--
Paul Giverin

I`m not suggesting, thats the way mechanics work in Croatia..:-).

Paul Giverin

Ha ha ........nope.