Squeeky rear brake at 24k miles

My 01 sedan has 24k miles on it and the rear brakes have been squeeking for the past 6 months. No metal on metal sound. I live in the desert and drive about 1.5 miles to work and back home at lunch time (two stop lights). Top speen is 35MPH so I don't do a lot of braking. The local shop wants $135 to examine the rear drum brakes or $170 to replace them. The front disks are fine. Should I pay for the inspection or just have them replaced? Is this common?

Reply to
GotCoffee

My wife's 00 ZX3 started like that - turned out to be the parking brake cable being loose and pretty soon the pad got stuck on the drum and caught fire, as a result of which the ABS sensor got damaged. Needless to say, it cost much more that $135 to check out the brakes.

My advice is to shop around and find a better deal - $135 just to remove the rear wheels and check out the brakes seems inflated.

-stanjo

Reply to
Stanjo