Stalling

I own a Focus 1.8 TDCI which was bought new in Jan 03.

I have always had a problem with the car stalling frequently, when pulling away in first gear.

Is this a characteristic of this model?

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Alan.

Reply to
alan

badraptor

Hi

I had a new TDCi in July and its a bugger for stalling when cold in first. Having driven many other diesels i find that the Focus is just easy to stall, when the car goes for service an updated managment programme is usually downloaded. I did wonder if the stall was due to the higher state of tune as i have the 115Bhp version? I can forgive the car as it excells in some many other ways and when the trip computer shows 49+ MPG it just makes me smile.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Meadows

Had my TDCI since October '02 - yes, it is easy to stall at low speed & low revs. The trick is to keep the revs up and slip the clutch a bit. Often need to use first gear when pulling away at "give way" junctions, because trying to do it in second would likely result in a stall.

I have seen a comment (in this newsgroup?) to the effect that there is an update to the engine management system that your Ford dealer could apply and which significantly reduces this tendency to stall.

Reply to
Mark Scott

Mine is improving now I have done 2000 miles. MPG is improving, but don't believe the trip. Mine exaggerates by approx. 10%.

Richard

Reply to
Deadly